Question for location of air scoop and air vent

Old 04-30-19, 10:04 AM
Question for location of air scoop and air vent

Hi All,
I'm working to install my hydronic system in our new build and the question which I have is the location for the air vent and air scoop. I know the ideal location is to be on the higher point in the system but in our case the system is located in the basement and the main floor loop is at next level. There is an air vent located on the main floor manifold already, is this enough? I'm thinking to keep the air scoop/air vent in the basement anyhow but not sure how efficient will be.
I inserted the picture with my system for reference.
Really appreciate any suggestion.
Thank you.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-19, 01:26 PM
r,
Your air scoop goes on your MAIN SUPPLY PIPE between the boiler and the individual zones if any. This is to remove any air before it can get into the system.

Below is a sight with a better option for air removal. It does the same job only much better and does not require an air vent. An air scoop should be placed at least 18" from an elbow is order to work properly. The Spirovent DOES NOT need that distance to work thus saving you space and is more conveniently placed on new installations plus works much better.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Spirothe...inators-311000

Just my thoughts. Hope this helps a little.

Old 04-30-19, 03:19 PM
Thank you Spott for the quick reply.
I choose to use the air scoop because of price. Cost just $20 vs $99 for a Spirovent.

Old 04-30-19, 04:47 PM
That is your prerogative but there is a reason for that. You get what you pay for.