Water leak on my boiler. (Pic)

Old 05-11-19, 09:02 AM
Water leak on my boiler. (Pic)

Hello, notice a leak on my boiler. This piece actually goes through an electrical box. So, things are wet and the furnace is not working. Great. Does this whole fitting get replaced? Is there an o ring or something in there? Thanks

Name:  b1.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  42.9 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 05-11-19 at 07:14 PM. Reason: resized picture
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-19, 11:21 AM
C,
If your boiler stopped working my guess would be the water leak shorted out the control and must be replaced, along with a new probe.

Below is a sight with your options since we don't know what brand you have.

McDonnell Miller and Hydrolevel options.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Mcdonnel...Cutoffs-192000

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Mcdonnel...Cutoffs-192000

Hope this helps a little.

Old 05-11-19, 12:09 PM
It does help. Thanks. I found the cover and it is a Safgard low water cut off 170sv. Now, not familiar with these systems...I'm assuming I need to drain it to change the cut off. There is a drain valve low on the front of the boiler. Doesn't it automatically refill when the water is low? Anything I need to do once the part is changed and it refills? Bleed air? Sorry for the dumb questions, just trying to save a few bucks and do this myself.

Old 05-11-19, 12:17 PM
C,
To answer those questions pics of the boiler and valves would be helpful. Do not have to be close ups. Stand back a little and pan the whole boiler and valves and feed valve if possible.

To answer your question for now, yes you have to drain the boiler, at least below the point of the probe to change it. It all depends what you have for valves as to hw much you have to drain and do not forget to shut the incoming water to the boiler off and the power before you drain anything.

One more thought. These controls are made in 120 and 24 V. so get the right one. 120 V is for oil, 24 V for gas.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Hydrolev...-Water-Boilers

Old 05-11-19, 01:21 PM
The inside of the cover says 120V...but it does run off propane. I'll get some pics.

Old 05-11-19, 01:35 PM
Here are some pics. Thanks for the help.

Name:  b2.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  78.3 KB

Name:  b3.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  83.1 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 05-11-19 at 07:18 PM. Reason: resize pictures
Old 05-11-19, 01:41 PM
I can't see where the wire comes from but the ribbed cable called greenfield contains 120V or line voltage wiring and those thin brown wires or T-STAT wires are 24V wires. However they have it wired it looks like 120 is going to it so just duplicate it if it worked before.

It looks like your air vent is or was leaking above your grey extrol tank. If so you may want to address it at the same time. I see a shutoff on your return, if you have 1 on the supply you can close it and you will not have to drain the whole system, just the boiler below the probe.

Old 05-11-19, 02:15 PM
Ok, thanks. I don't see a shut off on the supply. Yes, the vent was leaking and it's been replaced.

Old 05-11-19, 03:20 PM
On your supply line after your extrol tank near the ceiling you have a RED VALVE with a flag like handle on top. That is a Flocontrol Valve and if working properly acts as a check valve which will stop the water from coming back to the boiler and only allows the water to flow 1 way. You must make sure that handle on top is screwed all the way down to properly work. It will take the place of a shutoff in this case.

Old 05-11-19, 03:31 PM
Awesome. Thanks for everything. Gotta get a part and get it fixed. I'll post when it's done!