Faucet gasket replacement

Old 07-30-19, 06:39 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Faucet gasket replacement

1. I need to replace sealing gaskets for 2 cold water faucets on exterior wall and 1 hot water faucet for clothes washer. I cannot find shutoff valves for these faucets. Please confirm water main needs to be shut off and water heater needs to be drained for the maintenance.

2. While the water heater is drained, I would like to replace the anode. The tank is 8 years old. About the right time?

Single story house, water heater in the attic.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-19, 09:28 AM
Group Moderator
Received 164 Votes on 154 Posts
1. You don't need to do anything with the water heater. Just turn off the water main.

2. If you have an expensive/preimum water heater I might consider replacing the anode. For the average water heater I would not bother. You are possibly nearing the end of life for the heater. Yes, replacing the anode can extend it's life but they can be a pain to replace and I'm not sure it's worth the effort and expense on an older heater. It is very much a judgement call and whether you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person.

Old 07-30-19, 09:49 AM
The water heater is in the attic and hot water washer hookup is on the first floor. If I open the faucet for gasket replacement, will hot water pour out?

Old 07-30-19, 03:52 PM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Where are you located? When you say "sealing gasket," do you mean the valve disc washer, the stem packing, etc.? Why are you replacing it? Do you have isolation valves on both sides of the water heater? That would be highly recommended, particularly if the water heater is in the attic.

I agree with Pilot Dane - forget about the anode replacement. They are a pain in the neck to replace, which is one reason few people do it. I wonder if water heater manufacturers like to recommend that, so when the water heater springs a leak, they can hide behind the fact that the anode wasn't changed?

But, getting back to the fish fry. How have you been draining and flushing your water heater every year? That's more important than the anode rod.

I tend to think you need to call an experienced plumber, whose references you've checked.

Old 07-30-19, 08:26 PM
I hear you. Will do as advised. Thank you.