Boiler piping preferences?

Old 08-05-19, 06:52 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Boiler piping preferences?

I知 preparing to install a new Burnham ES2-4 boiler and HTP indirect.

As I知 assembling the materials list I知 wonderingare there any serious disadvantages to using all copper pipe works for the near boiler piping?

Old 08-06-19, 03:19 PM
G
Received 13 Votes on 13 Posts
Compare the costs of alternative pipe materials. Are you experienced in sweating copper fittings? What type of pipe is already installed in the system?

Old 08-07-19, 05:33 AM
B
Material costs are not a serious concern and I知 comfortable around 鍍he flame.

The existing system was installed in the early 70s. A grossly oversized boiler with undersized copper pipe works. I think the installers used only what they had in the truck?

I致e already assembled the all copper, wall-mounted distribution manifolds, air elimination, circulator, etc. I知 just curious if black pipe risers provide any significant benefit over copper.

The system is interesting...
Double-pass cu/al fin baseboard, plumbed with ス steel pipe in five heating loops. I致e mapped the loops and found them to be nearly equal length, averaging 113 each. But then, there痴 loop #5it痴 only 35 total including the 3 emitter. I wonder if the original system designer intended that short loop as a boiler bypass?
As a youth I recall seeing the original boiler, a gigantic hulking beast, (probably wrapped in asbestos), dripping water from the tankless. Imagine THAT fuel bill today!

Old 08-09-19, 03:05 AM
S
Received 12 Votes on 9 Posts
You did not say if this boiler is steam or hot water. That said, if it is steam, I nor any good steam fitter/installer would ever use copper on any of the steam piping. If it hot water, copper would be fine. "Pro Press" type fittings would make the installation easier but soldering with a good quality solder would prove your ability.

Old 08-09-19, 07:21 AM
B
ES2 is hot water.

Pro Press would be nice but, I can't justify the purchase of the tools for this one project. Can I borrow yours? HaHa!

I've mapped the pipe works and have decided to fit black pipe for the near boiler and copper for everything else.

Thanks for the input.

Old 08-09-19, 10:46 AM
S
Make sure that you use dielectric unions or nipples at the connection point of the copper/steel connections. Where I live, Pro Press tools can be rented.

Old 08-09-19, 02:00 PM
More importantly is proper piping, proper circulator location and good air elimination over piping material as long as it has an oxygen barrier and is industry approved.
Personally, I would pipe this primary/secondary. The boilers today have very little water volume and p/s will always guarantee proper flow in the boiler if adjusted properly.

Old 09-30-19, 01:25 PM
B
Well, The new system is up and running!
A major project that was quite involved...

Photos of the old stuff

Attached Images     
Old 09-30-19, 01:29 PM
B
And...
The new stuff
With all new pipe works
Vent chase
Electrical
and Zone Controls

Attached Images     
Old 09-30-19, 02:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,509 Votes on 1,396 Posts
I don't see any zone valves..... are they hiding ?

Old 09-30-19, 02:59 PM
B
They're right before the system supply manifold

Attached Images  

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: