P-WGO-6 Weil Mclain relief valve leaking

Old 08-20-19, 08:28 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
P-WGO-6 Weil Mclain relief valve leaking

Hi, I am hoping someone can suggest. Our boiler is just over 20 years old. The relief valve recently started leaking. I can pick up a replacement valve. What is required to replace?

I am also curious how efficient this boiler is at 20 years old. Has the technology changed much? How long should I expect this one to last?

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-19, 09:33 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
What is the pressure of the system? Sometimes relief valves leak because the boiler is over-pressurizing due to some other issue.

To replace the relief valve, you will need to either (1) isolate the boiler from the system piping by shutting off isolation valves, if they exist, or (2) you will need to drain the water from the system. If you have to drain the system you will need to refill it after the repair and then purge the air out.

It looks like you have an Amtrol "indirect" hot water tank which uses hot boiler water to heat up the domestic hot water used in the home. That might make things a little trickier regarding draining, refilling and purging the system.

More pics of the near-boiler piping , including the piping that connects the boiler to the Amtrol tank, would help to determine what needs to be done.

If the boiler is doing it's job and not leaking, then leave it alone. Replacing it merely for the sake of "new technology" would not be cost-effective, IMO.

Old 08-21-19, 01:26 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
On hydronic boiler systems designed to provide heat with 140F to 180F water not much has changed. There is no established life for this type of boiler.

My Weil-McLain is 60 years old and a lot easier to clean and keep efficiency up than Novice134 in picture. A downside of newer boilers is they are harder to clean.

Because of added insulation, new windows, etc. most boilers are over sized. Using smaller $5 nozzle can increase efficiency while still providing desired heat at coldest design temperature.

To improve efficiency newer boilers like yours come with Out-door-reset "ODR" and electric stack damper/vent "OVD". They can easily be added on and fuel savings provide quick pay back. If you ever buy a new boiler they can be reused.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Tekmar-2...iler-4150000-p

https://www.supplyhouse.com/sh/contr...il+vent+damper

Old 08-21-19, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the replies. After I posted this I noticed the sticky post on leaking relief valves. https://www.doityourself.com/forum/b...sion-tank.html

It was very helpful.
I added a wider view of the boiler.

I will read up on the efficiency devises suggested by doughess.

Attached Images  
Old 08-21-19, 07:58 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I can see the pressure/temperature gauge mounted on the boiler in the pic above, but I can't read the numbers on it. What is the system pressure?

The boiler system expansion tank (smaller gray tank on right) looks like it's been leaking for a while. A failing expansion tank could allow for system over-pressurization causing the relief valve to discharge.

It appears that you may indeed have some boiler isolation valves... there is one after the circulator on the boiler supply side (yellow handle, far right in pic), and then another one on the boiler return side (yellow handle, on the vertical black pipe, in front of the Amtrol tank in pic). But to drain the boiler and replace the relief valve, you will also need to isolate the pressure reducing/fill valve from the system, which is piped into the horizontal pipe coming out of the top of the expansion tank....I don't see a valve for that in the pic.

As for the pressure reducing/fill valve, if it is failing, than that too could cause system over-pressurization, and thus a leaky relief valve.

Last edited by Rockledge; 08-21-19 at 08:22 PM.
Old 08-22-19, 07:45 AM
Two things make boiler service and clean-out easier for the DIYer:

1. Lengthen electrical BX cable to Beckett burner so you do not have to disconnect to remove or to open door.

2.Install flexible oil line hose so burner can be removed or door opened without having to disconnect oil line.
MITCO P131-18M 24” LONG 1/4” npt MALE x 1/4” NPT MALE
http://www.mitcomfg.com/catalog/mitcofull24.htm

https://www.globalindustrial.com/sea...tors-both-ends

On a cold winter night if oil nozzle clogs or whatever, it is as lot easier and faster to service burner.

Last edited by doughess; 08-22-19 at 08:23 AM.
Old 08-22-19, 06:51 PM
Rockledge, The leakage on the pressure reducing tank is from 2012. Pretty sure we dealt with that back then. There is a valve just above the tank.

It looks like the pressure is about 10/12 PSI

doughess, thanks for the suggestions. I will take a look.

Old 08-23-19, 07:47 PM
A third technology up grade for old boilers is modern burner primary $50 controller with digital display of status and history that makes diagnostics easier. It also has alarm feature, that upon failure to fire or lockout, can set off alarm long before occupants would wake to a cold house.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.supplyho...s/R7284Bro.pdf
https://carlincombustion.com/gas-oil...imary-control/

While these are universal replacements for most old dumb R8184x controllers, 3 wire BX cable is needed to main 120 VAC at all times. Third wire is for aquastat activation/burner on off.

Note the Beckett 7505 Genisys controller only has a LED light. For digital display it requires additional Contractor Tool display/control for total cost of $170+.

Old 08-24-19, 04:21 AM
Due to some craziness around home I wasn't sure when I could get to this so I called in someone. It was just a leaking relief valve and it turns out the pressure gauge wasn't working. When he took off the pressure the gauge was still reading 12lbs. He replaced the valve and was nice enough to put on a used gauge at no charge.

He did give me a tip for checking if the pressure reducing tank had an issue by tapping the top of the tank and the bottom and listening for a difference in sound. If the pressure tank is completely full then the sound wouldn't be different.
Thanks again for the help.