Baseray or Radiant Cast Iron

Old 09-18-19, 06:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Baseray or Radiant Cast Iron

Hey guys, I'm turning my dining room into a bedroom in my 1960 house. I moved one wall over about 2 feet, so I had to remove the existing cast iron Baseray Radiator. I did not want it going through the finished wall. The section I removed is about 9 ft long with a 2 ft corner.

So I will need to separate and remove a section or two of the Baseray, and re-assemble it to make it about 7 feet long, and still use the 2 ft corner.

Or, my other option is to use a Burnham Radiant Radiator that I removed from another part of the house. But I see the spec sheet on those radiators and the 36" section I have is only rated for 36 sq. ft."Free Standing EDR", and I would like to recess it in the wall to save floor space, which reduces the output by 10%. It's hard to believe that the recessed radiator will only produce enough heat for 30ish sq ft.

The bedroom I'm building is only 70 sq. ft. total.

What should I do?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-19, 01:59 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Install the Burnham radiator, you should have more than enough heat for 70 sq. ft. Link below explains what EDR is and the "rule of thumb" rating.

69tr6r voted this post useful.
Old 09-25-19, 10:40 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I should have included the link to the data sheet for the Burnham Radiator. It's still a bit confusing to me. But I think I use the 36 sq ft number from the radiator data sheet, and multiply it by 170 (degrees my boiler hot water is at). That will give me a BTU number of 6,120 for the radiator. Then I can use a calculator to determine how many BTU's the room needs. A quick use of an online calculator shows I need 3,300 BTU's for heating. So this radiator is more than enough for my room.

https://files.gitshare.io/link/rBDNg...ta%20Sheet.pdf