Hot water boiler pressure gauge froze, should I replace?

Old 10-06-19, 04:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hot water boiler pressure gauge froze, should I replace?

I have a wood/coal add-on hot water boiler in my garage, last year I didn't use it and forgot to drain the water and it froze, I finally got it thawed and drained in a few hours. I'm getting it ready now for the winter, fill the boiler back up and have no leaks which I'm thankful for. I did notice the needle on my pressure/temperature gauge was out of wack, way below the pressure it should have. When I filled the boiler the needle did move about a 1/4 inch but stopped, it should be reading around 10-12 lbs like it always did. Do you think when it froze something happened to the probe inside the water jacket?

Name:  g.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  60.7 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 10-06-19 at 04:55 PM. Reason: resized picture
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-19, 04:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 371 Votes on 348 Posts
Possibly water got in it, froze and caused damage.
The other possibility is the small hole in the gauge or the probe is clogged with rust.

Does that gauge screw out ? Shouldn't be too hard to replace.

Old 10-07-19, 08:06 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Trying to remove the old gage can cause major problems. A simpler solution is to install a new gage elsewhere on the system.

I gave up on my original boiler gage years ago. Installed second gage where it is easy to see when adjusting pressure regulator or draining system.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dial-Vacuum...torefresh=true

Old 10-08-19, 05:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There really isn't anywhere else to install a new gauge, this gauge screws into the front of the boiler. I'll drain the water down inside the boiler seeing I haven't started to use it yet. There was rusty water that came out of the drain, it could have gotten into the hole and plugged it like you said. I'll keep you posted, thanks..

Old 10-09-19, 08:04 AM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Install a tee on boiler side of pressure regulator for gage.

Look on trying to remove old boiler gage as accident waiting to happen. Worst case boiler might have to be replaced.

Another work around is attach second gage to short length of garden hose and connect to boiler drain fitting. Make sure to flush out debris from boiler before doing that.

Here is a classic, old DIY.com post on subject: https://www.doityourself.com/forum/b...re-gauge.html?

Last edited by doughess; 10-09-19 at 08:26 AM.