No heat

Old 11-19-19, 11:47 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No heat

My boiler stopped working at the end of spring. The pilot was lit but it didn't fire. The house vacant and the weather was nice so I put it off. Now I'm trying to ready the place to move in. A Weil McClain CG 4 spdn boiler. I dont know anything. Figuring it out as I go. I've replaced the rollout switch, spill switch and damper motor. I let a couple wires touch and burnt out the transformer so I replaced that as well. I can jump the damper and it will fire but the damper doesn't open. When I replaced the transformer I noticed some faint burn marks on the relay so replaced that. I was going to replace it anyway as I wasnt getting 24 or any reading between the C and Y terminals. Now when I replaced the relay and turn the unit on the transformer makes a very loud , rapid clicking. Any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-19, 01:26 PM
Received 18 Votes on 18 Posts
Hi, are you sure it’s the transformer that’s clicking?, sounds odd more likely a relay, DON’T change any more parts your wasting money, post some pics of your boiler control.
Mfg, and Mdl# of damper assembly.

Geo

Old 11-19-19, 03:52 PM
Right. I guess it is the relay clicking. It plugs into the transformer. That caused my confusion.

Last edited by Kylerk; 11-19-19 at 05:33 PM.
Old 11-19-19, 05:42 PM
Ok. Problem solved. I had attached photos as you requested but had to remove them to attach this image. A young man with some experience had been involved previously and he had jumped this device thinking it was no good. When I installed the new relay it was shorting hence the clicking. Just for giggles I removed the wire he used to jump it and the boiler fired right up. I wont be asking that guy for any more help. Lol. Thanks for your support.

Attached Images  
Old 11-19-19, 05:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 408 Votes on 384 Posts
I agree. That is the gas valve in your picture and should never have any jumpers added to it.

Old 11-20-19, 07:47 AM
If you zoom in on the pic. I was actually trying to show that little glass thing wired in going to to the damper wire harness. Some sort of fuse. That's what was jumped.

Old 11-20-19, 09:07 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Is the damper opening? Please verify that it's working and opening when there is a call for the burners to lite. If that's not opening you could be in danger of CO2 poisoning.

Old 11-20-19, 08:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 408 Votes on 384 Posts
That's exactly what that is.... a fuse. If it was blown..... it was for a reason.

Name:  15935.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  24.1 KB