Can I lower a pressure relief tank ?

Old 11-27-19, 03:19 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can I lower a pressure relief tank ?

I have a hot water base board system and radiant heat. I would like to lower the green tank about 2 ft. I need the space for a small manifold to heat bathroom floors.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-19, 05:25 PM
G
Received 11 Votes on 11 Posts
Yes, it's just a matter of piping and plumbing. It's an expansion tank, not a "pressure relief" tank. But, we know what you are saying.

Old 11-28-19, 07:59 AM
G
Received 11 Votes on 11 Posts
From what I can tell from your photo, there isn't a valve to isolate the expansion tank. If not, then you will probably have to depressurize the whole system and drain it down to the level of the tank. In any case, you will need to depressurize the tank itself - which would be a good time to check the air pressure in tank and possibly add an isolation valve.

Old 11-28-19, 08:51 AM
D
Received 25 Votes on 24 Posts
In the future it will be easier to depressurize system if 1/2” ball valve was threaded on tank.

Then to depressurize just shut off valve and drain water out of system until pressure gauge reads zero. With the isolation valve there is no need to depressuize expansion tank.

Last edited by doughess; 11-28-19 at 09:07 AM.
Old 11-28-19, 03:06 PM
S
Received 50 Votes on 47 Posts
p,
I noticed behind that 1/2" copper pipe you have an isolation valve between the the tank and the boiler. If you shut off that valve and unscrew the tank after the valve you can lower it as much as you need to.

The expansion tank can go anywhere in the system as long as it is unobstructed to the boiler so it can react when the water is heated and expands and has somewhere to go.

Old 11-29-19, 07:10 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes there is a isolation valve about 6 in above the tank.So then I will just drop tank out of my way. Once the tank is off I will check the tank pressure.
Thanks for the help