Split Main Loop

Old 11-30-19, 10:34 AM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Split Main Loop

Is it possible to put a split on your main loop of a radiant floor heating system?

I am adding an inlaw apartment to our house, and really like radiant floor heat, but am afraid the inlaw apartment will be too much for my current boiler. I think it would be enough boiler though if I split the main loop and set up another metering valve to feed the inlaw apartment floor loop manifolds.

I could add another boiler and have a whole separate heating system for the inlaw apartment, but I like the idea of both the main house, and the inlaw apartment being tied together so that my co-gen plant, or wood/coal boiler, can provide heat to both.

The only other option would be to have two radiant floor heating systems, but have it hooked up so that heated water from my co-gen plant, or coal/wood boiler could be diverted to either system depending on the call for heat, but I am not sure how to set that up. (Maybe a metering valve hooked to a PLC with temp sensors on each system?)

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-19, 12:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,168 Votes on 1,083 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I'm not the boiler pro but was reading thru.

Of course adding another boiler would take care of the problem but that may not the ideal choice.
I wouldn't split any exiting loops. I'd created an additional one for the radiant heat.
Does that boiler also supply domestic hot water ?

Old 12-01-19, 02:02 PM
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
What size is the boiler and how much sq ft of home are you trying to heat.