Changing Circulator Pump

Old 12-02-19, 12:29 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Changing Circulator Pump

Hello,

I will be changing the Zone 2 (Green) circulator pump on the pictured hydronic boiler. My question is, does the flow control valve (circled in red) also stop backflow? The reason I ask is because the only shutoff valves are right above the pumps on the return side. The other valves on the supply side (circled in orange) look to be used as limiting valves as they are at different stages of open/closed. I do not want to mess with them and cause any leaks or change the flow rates. So....... am I just looking at emptying/refilling and bleeding most or all of the system, or will the flow valve stop or slow the water coming back out of the boiler from the supply side? I will do it as quick as possible, and I figure the vacuum created by closing the valve above the pump should slow the water too. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!!!!

Name:  Boiler 3.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  114.7 KB

Name:  Boiler 2.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  107.8 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 12-02-19 at 04:32 PM. Reason: resized pictures
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-19, 02:52 PM
G
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
A flo-control valve is a lift-check valve. It will stop backflow through the valve. Maybe not 100% depending upon the condition of the valve and the differential pressure that is seating the valve. Good luck.

Old 12-03-19, 08:06 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you! That info will prove to be very helpful.