Gas Boiler Intermittent Delayed Ignition

Old 12-07-19, 09:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas Boiler Intermittent Delayed Ignition

Bought a house from the 70s and by the look of it our boiler is original. We knew it would be a problem one day but itís always worked fine.

last year our hot water heater went and flooded the basement. When we had someone out to do mold remediation (it appears we flooded sometime in the past) they suggested spray foaming around the perimeter for insulation and to control moisture.

The basement is bone dry now but the boiler is regularly having fairly hard delayed ignitions. Thereís soot on the floor near the unit, and it visibly expels some flame when it starts. We went ahead and put on a new gas valve in the hopes that would fix it, but no such luck.

the problem is the boiler has worked without any noticeable issues until this point and given itís advanced age I suspect nobody is looking too closely. Iím questioning if the spray foam isnít messing up the air flow to the boiler in some way, for example.

i really donít want to get someone out here to replace the boiler and find out I didnít have to, or more annoyingly that I shelled out for such an expensive piece of work and it isnít fixed.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-19, 09:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 477 Votes on 447 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Call your gas provider for service. They usually have fairly good techs at very affordable prices.

I don't see the insulation as having any effect on the boiler. If you think it's starving for air.... try leaving a door or window open.

Old 12-08-19, 12:54 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Sounds like your boiler is sooted up and plugged, on the burner side, not the water side. Being that it is 40 something years old, there probably is no rollout safety switch. I would have it looked at by a pro to determine if it is worth having a full cleaning done.