Riello boiler possible water leak

Old 12-20-19, 10:14 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Riello boiler possible water leak

Hi all;
Just did my annual boiler cleaning. On the right side second pass the soot had a brown tint, or color to it. It was dry, I'm thing it may be a very slow leak. The boiler is 17 years old, fairly young for this boiler. It is a 3 section SG. I haven't looked it up yet, so I don't know what or if it may be warranted. I use antifreeze because we go away for a few weeks during the winter, and I know that antifreeze can find a leak faster than water can. In any case, if it is a leak are there any good stop leaks available. I will wait until warm weather to decide what to do.
Any thoughts, Thanks. PS I installed the boiler myself.
Sid

Old 12-20-19, 11:14 AM
R
Received 199 Upvotes on 181 Posts
What glycol was used? Was an inhibitor used with it?
Certain glycol eats metal if no inhibitor was used.

Old 12-20-19, 11:57 AM
S
Cryoteck with inhibitors, actually I refreshed it a couple of times, and I test for inhibitors occasionally , and add when needed.
Sid

Old 02-16-20, 12:02 PM
S
Reillo Boiler leak

Sorry Folks. I got the boiler and burner mixed up. It is actually the Biasi boiler that I am conserved about. It took me all this time to realize this. What ever the leak may or not be happening, must very slow, as the pressure is holding for 2 months now. I am going to look again when I open it up towards the end of the summer.
Sid

Old 02-16-20, 03:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Brown soot is sometimes an indication of a combustion problem rather than a leak. Whiy are you seeing soot at all?

Old 02-17-20, 07:04 AM
S
I have to refresh my Bacrack kit and do a better burner set up this summer. Thanks for asking.
Sid

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: