Boiler with honeywell L8148A aquastat

Old 12-20-19, 11:07 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Boiler with honeywell L8148A aquastat

Hoping someone can help solve a problem I have been having. I cant keep paying heating repair man to replace aquastat. Last winter came home to no heat, had to wait til Monday am to fix, tech came determined aquastat was bad. Replaced with new, I went to work, came home no heat again. They came next day, aquastat was bad again. Within a week the 2nd aquastat went. This time I ordered one and installed myself. Noticed they did not have the ground wires connected to the ground screw of the aquastat case. So i ran them to grounding screw. All was fine for the rest of the year until yesterday. Aquastat went out again. Seems to always burn out the transformer. This system ran fine with no issues for 12+ years and now has burnt 4 aquastats in less than a year. Seems to correspond with wind, wind recently started causing power to dim in my home. Assume an issue with the power company. How can i correct this issue? I'm not made of money. Any help apprecuated.

Old 12-21-19, 10:38 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,610 Votes on 1,482 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

In order for us to help you we need your system information.
Do you have zone valves in this system ?
Do they have their own transformers.

Aquastats don't go bad for no reason.
The transformer inside them is not as robust as they used to be so you may be trying to draw too much current from it.

Pictures of your system are very helpful........ How-to-insert-pictures.

Old 12-21-19, 03:34 PM
S
Sorry about that, it's a brodeus boiler, I have a taco 2 zone control board, there is a circulator pump for hot water tank and one for base boards. The last time the astat went the tech checked amp draw on all connections. Nothing was out of line or even questionable. The aquastat does not control either of the circulator pumps. They are controlled from the taco board. I'm thinking it's a power company problem as this only seems to happen when its windy outside. Has never happened while I was home. But when windy, at times the lights in my house will dim and come back up, the power dims enough to reset my DVR and shut off my TV. I'm thinking if this occurs while the stat calls the boiler that is damaging the transformer? I can wedge the relay open and the boiler will run. The stat will shut it down at high limit, just will not power the magnet for the relay.

Old 12-21-19, 05:58 PM
Received 15 Votes on 11 Posts
Call the utility, you have a power problem.

Old 12-22-19, 09:54 AM
S
Hopefully that gives you the pics. The guard dog is bypassed. Was not working and technician bypassed, explaining most residential systems dont even use it, and there is very low likely hood of system getting low on water as it is auto fill.

Name:  b1.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  118.0 KB

Name:  b2.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  57.7 KB

Name:  b3.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  76.6 KB

Name:  b4.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  137.3 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 12-22-19 at 10:46 AM. Reason: reoriented/resized pictures
Old 12-22-19, 10:55 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,610 Votes on 1,482 Posts
I see no problem with the aquastat wiring. The TT switching comes directly from the zone controller.
Nothing seen to cause the unit to burn up.

Rbeck thinks you have a power problem. A test meter can confirm that.

Old 12-22-19, 05:23 PM
S
I've been thinking it's a power problem as well. Was hoping to get some confirmation on that. Its extremely difficult to test that with a meter however as this issue only crops up when it is fairly windy outside. So now I guess I get to call and fight it out with the power company. Thankyou both for the help!!! Merry Christmas to you and your families!!

Old 12-27-19, 03:05 PM
S
Update, got a hold of ppl today around 330, crew showed up 15 mins ago, within 2 mins diagnosed a completly open neutral on their end, replacing all connections at house and pole. Thanks for the help and advice everyone!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: