Proper wiring for the boiler

Old 01-10-20, 09:40 AM
V
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Proper wiring for the boiler

Guys,

Oil fired boiler with DHW coil, 2 zones, 2 cirs, 120v t-stats.

old aquastat connected to zone 1 through junction box. (no relay switch or anything). Second cir connects directly to 2nd t-stat through circuit breaker . (not in any way connected to a-stat).

I want to make it right , if possible. I have triple aquastat at home, what else i need to make this right. So we still get hot water in showers if there is call for heat.

Do I need to have to run low voltage wire from both t-stats?

Thanks

Old 01-10-20, 01:28 PM
S
Received 61 Votes on 57 Posts
V,
The sight below will give you some info on what you will need. This would be my recommendation along with 24V stats wired with at least18/3 wire or more conductors if you wish. On the sight is the Taco Relay. Click on Install instructions and your schematic would be the one on the right with the coil. The left side is if you upgrade to an Indirect HWH in the future.

Coupled with your Triple Action Aquastat and new 24V stats you should be good to go.

Your pumps and stats would wire into your TACO relay and then another wire would go from that to the aquastat to start the boiler.

There are other ways to achieve your goal but I believe this the best for what you want to accomplish.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Taco-SR5...9f12ea3a4f330c

Hope this helps a little.

Vsmartin voted this post useful.
Old 01-10-20, 01:49 PM
V
so I don't need to install transformer to power the t-stats. Just run wires from t-stat to the Taco relay.
And do i have to connect ZC and ZR?

Old 01-10-20, 04:50 PM
Received 88 Votes on 83 Posts
Hi, no need for additional transformer, and follow the Dia. and connect ZC ZR
Geo

Old 01-11-20, 09:55 AM
S
Received 61 Votes on 57 Posts
Follow wiring diagram as gio said. This relay below is basically the same as other one only without the exp. feature which I doubt you will need. The ZC (zone control) & ZR (zone relay) terminals are very important in the operation of this system in your case.

Another thought though is that these are available for multiple zone use. If you ever considered adding another zone of heat in the future you might want to get the 4 zone panel instead of the 3 and you would be set to go with no additional relay work. The relay below will give you 3 zones of heat and a zone for HW if you upgrade to an Indirect HWH instead of your coil.

The 3 zone relay can be used for 3 zones of heat or 2 zones of heat and a priority zone for HW. The 4 zone relay will give you 4 zones of heat or 3 zones and 1 priority for HW. It just saves time and money if you plan ahead. Below are your different options. The ones listed are for pumps. They also make them for zone valves which you DO NOT want.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Switching-Relays-443000

Old 01-13-20, 07:50 AM
V
SPott thanks for the detailed info.
I have ordered it online. Once I get it , i will start installing it and maybe will bother you more if i get stuck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: