Taco 007 vs B&G 100 series

Old 02-16-20, 08:06 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Taco 007 vs B&G 100 series

The old B&G started not running. I took the motor off and it seemed OK, so I put it back on. Ran once and did the same thing, stopped. So I just got a Taco 007 and replaced it. It seems to be running fine. There was a lot of rust in the B&G. Thing is I'm using the pump for radiant heat in the downstairs (concrete with tile floor) rooms. It just doesn't seem to bring the heat up as much with the Taco, may be my imagination, the temps get to where I need them. Looking at the charts the Taco seems a bit smaller in G/M/head. I'm thinking about repairing the B&G and putting it back on, the motor seems fine, but it must be junk in the impeller or the bearings. I can't see how to get this thing apart from the pump body any help here? I've got the B&G pdf, but it's not clear to me how it comes apart.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-20, 08:15 PM
D
I just saw a video on it. I couldn't get the impeller to pull out from the pump body. I'll see about cleaning out the body where the impeller is, it may be a lot of junk in there is why it's not coming off. That may be all the problem is, junk in the impeller area.

Old 02-17-20, 12:55 AM
V
New style pumps are the size of 007

The old b and g style needed to be oiled and are obsolete now. The taco 007 is a great pump and thay is the size of all new style residential circulator pumps. Grundfos makes a decent pump also which is the same basic size and all new styles do not need to be oiled or maintained.

Old 02-17-20, 10:23 AM
D
Temporarily Suspended
Received 14 Votes on 14 Posts
The B&G Series 100 @ $325 has far more capacity than Taco 007 @ $85. While the B&G 100 will handle a majority of residential situations, the 007 is far more limited and may present other issues.

A far better choice is Grundfos Alpha2 pump @ $175 which has auto sensing of pressure and flow that adjusts automatically to changing system conditions. Uses 50% less electricity, and has LCD display of GPM and power. Literally plug and play.... has 7 selections for pressure and GPM. Left powered on Alpha2's will idle until various zone valves open then adjust for flow needed.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Grundfos...w-Terminal-Box

https://www.supplyhouse.com/sh/contr...+booster+pumps

https://www.supplyhouse.com/sh/contr...hText=taco+007

Last edited by doughess; 02-17-20 at 12:33 PM.
Old 02-17-20, 10:30 AM
D
Temporarily Suspended
Received 14 Votes on 14 Posts
................................................................................

Last edited by doughess; 02-17-20 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-17-20, 11:49 AM
D
I really think the BnG only will need a cleanup of the impeller/pump body, but I'll have to check. There really didn't seem to be anything wrong with the bearings and it wasn't leaking. If it's just a cleanup, I'll probably do that and put it back in service with some new gaskets. It just seems that the radiant heat is slower to come on with this taco 007. I have 2 thermostats running the radiant heat, one for the floor and one for the room in series. Seems to work fine. The floor is set at 76 and the room at 72/3 depending on time of year/how cold outside. When I didn't have the floor thermo, it had terrible overshoot. I know there are other ways to do it, but this was quick and dirty and it works.

I've actually got the pump running a 4 room header, 3 of them roughly the same size and one just a bathroom. But the better/faster flow in the bath also gives the room more heat, so that's not a bad thing. I could probably get flow controls on each room and balance them better, but they actually seem just fine the way it is running, free flowing.

I wish I could have done the radiant heat upstairs, it's wonderful heat and you can generally keep it lower than baseboard/forced air. But I didn't want to do it with the wood floors, I had a house that did that with parquet flooring and it was a disaster. Too much swelling and shrinking.

Old 02-18-20, 12:05 PM
D
I got the BnG on the bench today and the body was full of big chunks of rust. No wonder it wouldn't turn or the bearing assy wouldn't pull off. I've cleaned it up and it would work, there doesn't appear to have been any leaks, but I pulled the impeller off along with the seal kit. I actually had to knock off the bearing assy off with a rubber mallet.

Looking at the charts, the BnG has a fairly larger capacity than the Taco 007. The Grundfos is somewhere between but more like the BnG, but it's also $170 at Amazon. Best price I could find. The BnG bearing assembly is almost $100, the seal kit is $30 plus the body and flange gaskets. I'll probably just go with the seal kit and gaskets. State supply seems to be the only place I can find it.

There was a largish metal flange that came off behind the seal kit area, I don't see that part in the BnG pdf parts file. I actually didn't see any body gasket when I took it apart either.

The new boiler I got 5 years ago came with a Taco 007 that runs the 3 upstairs zones with baseboard heat (3/4" copper) and I didn't notice any difference in that heat, it seems to work as before. I don't remember what pump was on the old boiler. I'll have to go through my records and see what kind of Quest tubing that was I used in the floor, oh wait I can see it sticking out of the floor. It's 1/2" and there's a lot more pipe in the floor then upstairs, so it's probably got a much larger head value than the baseboard.