Oil boiler misfiring/ not working properly

Old 04-26-20, 02:28 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Oil boiler misfiring/ not working properly

Can anyone help me determine what is causing this in my boiler? I have changed the oil filter and nuzzle. Just ordered the pump strainer/filter to replace it as well but still doing it.

The water level on the glass tube also keep raising, in case that helps.

Video link:
https://youtu.be/3KnlQA91BmM

Sorry if this has been addressed before in this forum but couldn't find something similar.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-20, 04:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
If you haven't adjusted the air to the burner, the most common cause of your problem is fuel starvation. It's possible the pump strainer is the issue.
Another possibility is the plastic coupling between the motor & fuel pump is slipping. The coupling is fairly easy to check by removing either the motor or pump then removing the coupling.
Check both ends to verify there is a clean flat area on each end where the flat on the motor & pump shafts would fit. If they look ok, twist the ends in opposite directions. If there is any slippage, the coupling will need to be replaced.
It's possible the pump is bad but that's not likely.

Old 04-27-20, 08:39 AM
A
Perfect.. i will check the coupling while the strainer get shipped. Will report back the result, hopefully this fix the problem.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Old 04-27-20, 09:34 AM
A
One piece of information that I missed on my initial post and it might be important. The boiler start running fine and it start doing this after a minute or so of being running.

Please advise.

Thanks

Old 04-27-20, 12:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Certainly sounds like fuel starvation. The cause, yet to be determined but if the filter was really dirty, there's a good chance it's the pump strainer.

Old 04-30-20, 04:31 PM
A
Thanks Grady for your help... unfortunately i continue having problems. I changed the strainer and was able to take out the motor and inspect the coupling, it seems to be good. I can actually see the coupling rotating from a vent gap in the motor and it's rotating just fine. Wondering if there's anything else it could be the problem.

This are very simple system just need to know what else it could be so I can check before i need to move to more drastic measures.

Appreciate the help.

Thanks

Old 04-30-20, 04:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
There's only one thing I can think of other than fuel starvation & that is steam putting out the fire. I've only seen it once before but in that case the boiler was leaking into the combustion chamber. The burner would run fine for a minute or two then the steam from the leak would cause exactly what yours is doing. I would like to know what the fuel pressure is doing when it starts misfiring. What is the make & model of the fuel pump?

Old 04-30-20, 05:01 PM
A
The pump is a Danfoss BFPH Code No. 071N1151

Old 04-30-20, 07:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The coupling can be rotating just fine but the pump shaft could be slipping in the end cap of the coupling. As inexpensive as couplings are, I think it's worth trying replacement, especially if you can get one locally. You may have to cut it to length which is easily done with a PVC pipe cutter or fine tooth saw. Just make sure you cut it square.

Old 04-30-20, 08:00 PM
A
I was thinking the exact same thing, it's worth to give it a try. Will have to do some research and see if i can find it locally. If not, Amazon/Ebay would be.
I was also thinking how possible would be for the line to be clogged? Wondering because I was able to open the little window to look at the fire and was able to see the ocasional absence of fire.

Old 05-01-20, 06:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would really like to know the operating vacuum to the fuel pump & pressure from it. You can attach a pressure gauge (150 psi minimum) to the port on the top left of the pump via 1/8" pipe. A vacuum guage can be installed on the bottom left port using 1/4" pipe.https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/re...unit-type-bfph
If it shows a vacuum of over 5" or so, there's a restriction somewhere in the fuel system. If the vacuum is low yet the pressure is erractic, it's either the coupling or pump.

Old 05-02-20, 05:34 AM
A
Hi, i currently don't owe the gauge but can definitely get one. Would this one works?
https://www.harborfreight.com/Engine...Kit-62621.html

Old 05-02-20, 06:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It should work. I wouldn' t use the hose just because of the length. By using a 1/8" coupling & nipple, you should be able to screw it directly into the test port on the top of the pump. Use something like #2 Permatex to seal the threads. Don't use teflon tape. Teflon tape & fuel oil are not a good mix.

Additionally you should be able to use the vacuum & fuel pump test kit on the vacuum side.https://www.harborfreight.com/fuel-p...ter-62637.html
DO NOT try to use it on the pressure side.

Old 05-04-20, 02:39 PM
A
Hi Grady,
While waiting on the gauge, i decided to look into the flow right out of the tank. This doesn't seem right to me, flow looks like slow for a 3/4 tank. Do you think it is clogged?

Old 05-04-20, 02:44 PM
A
Sorry.. forgot the link on previous post for you to look at the flow..
https://youtu.be/28vyIKSOnVo

Old 05-04-20, 05:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Seems a little slow but it appears to be way more than you should need.

You could disconnect the small line which goes to the nozzle assembly, direct it into a container & start the burner. You should see a steady fuel flow at about 100psi. If it starts strong then tapers off, especially with a whine from the pump, that would indicate a possible restriction.

Old 05-05-20, 03:41 PM
A
Hi Grady,
My local store did not have the pressure gauge. But, seems like it is a restriction problem. I did what you recommended and the flow was not continuous and a whine from the pump was noticeable. Please take a look at the video and let me know what you think.

https://youtu.be/j4GSjkFnsQQ

Old 05-05-20, 04:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
With the burner motor noise, I couldn't hear the whine but that's not unusual on a video.
I'm not saying there isn't a restriction but I'm not convinced either. Just what you wanted to hear, right?
Have you replaced the coupling or been able to check vacuum?

Old 05-05-20, 05:04 PM
S
Received 40 Votes on 38 Posts
A,
Your oil does look a little slow but very clean. Did you check your firomatic valve to make sure it's fully open. Also you could take a coat hanger or something stiff that fits in your piping and enter through the fillter and push it into the tank to see if you have an obstruction at the opening. I have found that more than once.

Just a thought, hope this helps a little.

Old 05-05-20, 06:51 PM
A
Hey Spott..yes, I actually checked the valve and it is completely open. The hannger trick might be a good idea, will give it a try. Would I have to remove the filter holder?

Thanks

Old 05-05-20, 06:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You would have to remove the filter head.
Another way to see if there is a restriction between the tank valve and the burner is to run a temporary line from the pump into a gallon container of fuel then repeat the flow test at the burner.
Where does the fuel line go after it leaves the filter? Under anything such as the floor or a wall? Could it be kinked or crushed anywhere?