Frustrated Not Being Able to Get Heat In This Zone!

Old 04-27-20, 01:21 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Frustrated Not Being Able to Get Heat In This Zone!

Hello,

I have a gas boiler, hot water, baseboard heating system, with three heating zones. Two zones work well, one no longer does. The pump failed, and the plumber replaced the pump, added a ball valve, and changed the expansion tank for the zone. Since then, air always seems to enter that zone, and I have to constantly bleed that zone to receive heat. After bleeding, heat would work for a while, but after a while, I'd have to bleed again to receive heat. Somehow, air is getting into the system, and I don't see any signs of leaks, and the pump appears to be working correctly. The plumber only does bleeding and checking the system but, nothing has improved the condition.
I have attached a photo of the front of the burner. Is there anything that I should check? Is there anyway to properly diagnose this issue on my own? Any advice, or further questions would be appreciated.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-20, 04:03 PM
B
Received 93 Votes on 81 Posts
If this zone has the highest elevation, I would try to bleed all 3 zones at once since they share a common manifold.

Old 04-27-20, 04:32 PM
S
Received 50 Votes on 47 Posts
B,
You can check the bolts on the new pump flanges and make sure they are all tight and the gaskets are good.. It is possible for the pump to suck air in and not leak water when the comes on if the flanges are loose.

Next thing is the way the zone was bled. If not bled properly, air might be entering with fresh water as you are bleeding existing air out. It can be a never ending cycle.

Lastly, you cannot bleed 3 zones at once. They must be bled individually.

What are you running for pressure and is it stable or does it gradually increase, possibly a defective feed valve leaking by allowing fresh water to bring in air. I doubt if that is your problem or it would effect all 3 zones.

Hope this helps a little.

Old 04-28-20, 04:56 AM
B
Thank you all so much for your responses.

The zone that I'm having so much trouble with is one of the lower most zones. There are two zones that are on the first floor, and one zone upstairs. The upstairs and downstairs outermost zones work fine. It's the downstairs innermost zone that gives trouble. Imagine a large room downstairs, and a surrounding hall around the large room on the first floor. It's the zone that controls the large room downstairs.

I only bleed the zone that is giving trouble, since the other two zone are working well. The way that I bleed the zone is that I shut off the valves above and below the pump, open the feed valve to allow fresh water into the system, attach a hose to the valve to let water and air out of the system and maintaining the pressure at about 25 lbs.

I will check the bolts on the flanges of the pump.

Old 04-28-20, 10:01 AM
T
Received 16 Votes on 12 Posts
Every time you bleed you introduce fresh water which contains air. Where is the automatic air eliminating device and is it working correctly?

Old 04-28-20, 10:32 AM
A
Received 89 Votes on 82 Posts
Get or make a portable pressure gauge that you can screw onto a garden hose spigot or one of the drain spigots on your boiler.

This is to test for a possible defective one and only pressure gauge in your heating system.

You need to verify that boiler pressure is not going too low, like zero PSI relative to the outside atmosphere.

The most likely reasons for pressure going too low is a bad expansion tank or improperly prepressurized expansion tank.

The purpose of the expansion tank is to allow the boiler pressure to remain in effect (like at least 10 PSI) when the boiler is cool but not get dangerously high when the boiler is hot.

If the boiler pressure goes too low then air could be sucked in somehow and then have to be bled.

Old 04-28-20, 12:13 PM
B
OK. Provided that the pressure gauge that is installed on the boiler is working, the pressure never gets below 20 lbs.

I will test with portable pressure gauge. I'm now wondering if the expansion tank is no good. I've seen people tap on them to check them. It doesn't sound any different than the others.

Tomf63, I don't know what an automatic air eliminating device is. I will google, and see if one exists. Every time I bleed, I introduce air into the system because of the fresh water which contains air. Wow, I thought bleeding only eliminated the air.

Thanks everyone.

Old 04-28-20, 02:23 PM
S
Received 50 Votes on 47 Posts
B,
Your pics do not show what your extrol tank is connected to. Usually it's your air scoop or air eliminating device which is another name for the same device. I thought you said the tank was new.

If it was a defective tank your hot pressure would rise until it reached 30 psi and the relief valve would go off. Has no effect on air in the system. The tank is common to the whole system and your problem is only with 1 zone. Since you are bleeding at high pressure and not allowing water to enter when you are done because your set pressure is above the feed valve set pressure no air will enter that way. That is why you bleed at high pressure.

If you are tapping your tank it should sound solid on the top and tinny or hollow on the bottom. Water in the top, air bladder in the bottom.

Old 05-01-20, 11:54 AM
B
Received 93 Votes on 81 Posts
If the zone has never operated properly maybe there is an partially closed isolation valve somewhere or a damaged pipe.