Setting boiler temperatures?

Old 05-23-20, 04:52 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Setting boiler temperatures?

Hi,

I am a bit lost when it comes to boilers.

Looking for help with the settings for a hydro stat, on a Peerless boiler, model: WBV-03-105-W.

I have a separate hot water storage tank that is heated by the boiler as one of the zones.

Im in NY, the boiler was installed in 2019.

What should the settings be for winter and summer?

I have a hi temp, low temp, and economy knobs.

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-20, 05:09 PM
G
Received 10 Votes on 10 Posts
During the heating season, a typical setting of the boiler aquastat would be about 175-180 deg. In the summer, when the only use is making domestic hot water, reduce the boiler temp to achieve higher boiler efficiency. Best to have a professional tech come and show you the boiler operation.

Old 05-23-20, 08:48 PM
S
Received 40 Votes on 38 Posts
E,
The first thing I notice you said was that you have an indirect water heater and your control is set for high & low limit. With an indirect you do not need your low limit operating. That would save you some money by not having your boiler maintain temp around the clock all year even when you have nothing calling. The next thing is your high limit setting. I agree with Gil about the 180 deg setting but you may want to leave it there all year.

The reason for that in my opinion is that your indirect water heater rated hot water output is based on 180 deg boiler water feeding the coil that heats the water in the tank. If you lower the boiler water the recovery will be slower and depending how much hot water you use it may not be enough. You can try lowering it and if you can get away with it that's fine, if not you can raise it back up.

Your boiler only has about 12 gals. of water in it and the running time to heat your boiler water between 160 & 180 is a couple of minutes which in the scope of things is peanuts as far as savings. Your savings are going to be realized by shutting off your low limit.

Just my thoughts, hope this helps a little.

Old 05-25-20, 06:24 AM
E
Thank you

Thank you guys!

I will turn the low limit to off, and put the high limit to 180.

What setting should i set the economy nob to? I have three zones including the water tank. Do i set it to 3?

Old 05-25-20, 10:23 AM
S
Received 40 Votes on 38 Posts
E,
The sight below if this is the control you have will explain what you can do. Go to install instructions and then to page 7. You do not include your Indirect when setting so you will want to set to #2 but there is a little more to it that you canh read about.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Hydrolev...-Reset-Control

Hope this helps a little.

Old Today, 01:41 PM
E
Thank you

Spott,

Thank you for the information. I downloaded the guide and read pg 7. That is exactly what i needed to know.

Sincerely,

Steve