Boiler vs. water heater

Old 08-01-20, 04:50 AM
E
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Boiler vs. water heater

I might be installing an electric water heater at my daughter's home in SE Pennsylvania but I first would like to get so/me input. The home was built in 1916 and is a 2-story with a basement. The heat in the winter is supplied by a somewhat efficient boiler (not too old) that feeds hot water baseboard. There are 2 zones- one for the basement and one for the two upper floors with the controlling t-stat on the first floor. The water heater would be a 52-gallon with 2 4500 watt elements. To draw the needed 220 line from the electrical panel might be a bit taxing as there's just 100 amp service. What would be the problems of doing this change? Would it be more efficient with an electric water heater and would it be worth my while to do it? I could do the work but there's also the cost of the water heater and any parts I need. Plus I'll be 74 in January and perhaps my days of doing this type jobs are over. Thanks.

Rich

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-20, 10:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
Depending upon what other electrical load there is, an electric water heater may or may not be a problem with the 100 amp service.
Is the boiler oil fired with a domestic coil?

Old 08-01-20, 10:23 AM
Group Moderator
Received 938 Votes on 875 Posts
The water heater would be a 52-gallon with 2 4500 watt elements.
Typically only one element heats at a time which means you will need to standard 240v 30A circuit for your water heater. That shouldn't be too taxing.

Old 08-02-20, 05:11 PM
E
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The burner is oil fired. Thanks.

Old 08-03-20, 08:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
Sometimes when a boiler is converted from staying hot all the time to cold start, leaks called "cold leaks" will happen. These usually stop once the boiler is reheated. From the standpoint of operating cost, the electric water heater could save some money depending upon electric rates in your area.

Old 08-10-20, 04:10 PM
S
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
The heat output of the water heater is about 15,300 BTU's is this enough to heat the entire space? How big is the unit that you want to replace?