Need advice Riello 40 F3 lack of ignition spark

Old 10-11-20, 08:20 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need advice Riello 40 F3 lack of ignition spark

Hello all!
I need help troubleshooting my Riello 40 F3. I Cleaned the boiler as usual this year and the F3 wonít fire up properly. I replaced the oil filter, replaced nozzle, cleaned everything, etc. My F3 is configured as dual line to pump connected to a tiger loop for air elimination. I also have a field controls auto damper wired to F3 which I confirmed is opened up.

When I power the F3 up everything sounds normal. The blower goes on, hydraulic air shutter opens. I think I can hear oil spraying but I get no ignition, then it shuts down. I thought maybe air in the line so I opened the pump vacuum port and definitely see fuel coming out. I tried the (two line) pump purge, no luck. I opened up the boiler door and I feel oil around the nozzle. I checked the electrode connection and the primary control, it all looks clean and in order. I briefly got it to fire up, but it is only temporary, like 1-2 seconds at a time. I opened the boiler port to observe the flame and observed some burning after the F3 went off; I believe oil is spraying well, but the ignition is not keeping it burning.

I believe it is not getting spark at the electrode and nozzle. Iím not sure how to troubleshoot from here.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Old 10-12-20, 07:29 AM
T
Firstly, i am no expert. However i think your on the right track as far as troubleshooting spark goes. I would check to make sure the rods that are used to conduct the electricity down in front of the nozzle are seated or screwed in properly, see if you can brush them off gently and if possible check their alignment, normally there is only a small gap between the ends to make a little spark.
BTW myself i would do all of this with the unit powered down, the way most furnaces make a spark is will high voltage.

Old 10-12-20, 08:50 AM
J
Thanks. I am pretty sure that I didn't change anything with the spark gap, and I double-checked that the probes were properly aligned to the control unit. I will check it again. I also did thouroughly clean the probe ends of accumulated soot, etc.
However I'm not 100% if the spark gap is properly set, or if in some way got out of alignment. I can adjust it to reduce the gap -- I will try that later tonight.

Old 10-12-20, 12:40 PM
S
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
https://inspectapedia.com/heat/Riell...ner-Manual.pdf

Maybe this can help instead of going through step by step.

Old 10-12-20, 05:46 PM
J
No luck so far. But thanks, the materials helped, I least I learned something.

I pulled it all apart again. Verified that the probe gap measurements were exactly as specified, and also confirmed the turbulator setting was as peerless specified for the package. Base of the probes are clean and ensured the inside contacts of the control unit were clean.

Same behavior, I think I hear the oil spraying, but there seems to be no spark to ignite it.

Any other thoughts?

Old 10-13-20, 11:13 AM
S
If you are sure you are getting oil and no spark there are only a couple of possible problems.

Make sure that your porcelin insulator on the electrodes is not cracked at all.
Make sure your electrode tips are set correctly.
Make sure when you put that primary control back on you have a good connections and is seated properly.
If you are satisfied that all these things are correct then it could be your primary contro, that grey box you must remove to get at your nozzle assembly. Unlike a conentional burner like Beckett or Carlin which have seperate primary controls and transformers and cad cells, Riello combines all of those things into one control and call it an intergrated primary control so if any one of those things fail you must change that grey box.

They may have a troubleshooting section in that manual.

Hope this helps a little.

Old 10-17-20, 01:42 PM
J
Thanks spot I appreciate it:
>> Make sure that your porcelin insulator on the electrodes is not cracked at all.
It's perfect except for some age discoloring

>> Make sure your electrode tips are set correctly.
I got the manual, checked peerless stock settings, measured everything to the milimeter.

>> Make sure when you put that primary control back on you have a good connections and is seated properly.
I checked the probe contact end several times, cleaned the internals, etc.

I don't think the CDS cell is bad. I ran that purge procedure where you open it up and shine the light in, seemed to have expected results.

I think you might be right on the control box. I found a NOS unit on ebay for reasonable price, when I get back home I'm going to make the swap and see if that helps.

Old 10-17-20, 06:37 PM
G
Put your old nozzle back in and try it, to elminate the new nozzle as a suspect

Old 10-27-20, 03:06 PM
J
Turned out is seemed to be an issue with my nozzles. The old one was likely not spraying, nor was the new one. Strange. I never had this issue before.

The package I originally installed was a peerles wbv3 with riello 40 F3 having a delevan .50/90B nozzle. In ~9y I never had an issue ... just changed the nozzle to a new one, cleaned up, fired up fine. This time for whatever reason the old and new nozzles would not work.

I had a local service person come over and tell me nobody uses that nozzle. I've heard people say in the past that it's too small and will never work ... but worked fine for like 9 years. I will say however, finding this particular nozzle has been getting harder ... that last ones I purchased were from amazon.

Solution was to replace with .65/80B with required adjustments and it fired immediately.

I suppose for now I can live with the extra .15 gal/hr consumption, but still a bit peeved that I seemingly did everything right and suffered some sort of spraying failure.

Old 10-27-20, 04:09 PM
S

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: