Advice on warm basement radiator

Old 11-08-20, 09:09 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Advice on warm basement radiator

Hi, I am seeking some advice on my hot water boiler. I have basement radiator that gets warm but not hot. I checked the radiator and it is full, no air. It appears this radiator was piped as a add on. The radiator is below the level of the boiler, which is probably the problem. I seeking the some advice to get it working. I'm considering of cutting the current hot and cold pipes to radiator where they connect to the mains, raise the radiator to above the boiler and run pex to it. Any tips would be appreciated.

PipeWithValveHotToRaditor.jpg shows the hot pipe from boiler to the rest of the system. The hot pipe to the radiator with a shutoff valve was added at sometume by attaching a pipe below the main pipe. I'm not sure if this is ok. The pipe to the radiator gets warm but much cooler than the main hot pipe attached to it.

PipeWithValveColdReturnRad.jpg shows the cold pipe (with a valve) from radiator attached to the main cold return

HotIntoRad.jpg shows the hot pipe connects to the radiator. There is a valve there which I assume was for a garden hose perhaps.

ColdPipeReturn.jpg shows the cold return pipe from the radiator .

The boilerFrontPic.jpg us just picture of the front

Last edited by PJmax; 11-08-20 at 09:57 PM. Reason: added pics from link
Old 11-09-20, 09:38 AM
D
Received 36 Votes on 34 Posts
The current pipe arrangement is not getting adequate flow.

Try rearranging piping and add ball valves so it can be isolated from rest of system.

If that works then new problem may be excessive basement heat.

Should rearranging not be practical, would add zone valve and small circulator with thermostat to control it.

Did that in my basement. Later re-piped kitchen radiator with zone valve to same circulator activated by room thermostat.

Last edited by doughess; 11-09-20 at 10:59 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: