Leaking radiator

Old 11-24-20, 04:29 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Leaking radiator

Please can anyone give me some advice?

I have discovered exactly where the water is dripping from, it is coming from where the arrow is pointing too on my bathroom rad. All other valves are dry. What is that part called that the red arrow is pointing to do you know? When I turn that part with my hands (which I think turns rad on and off) lots of water drips out. When I do not turn it, it drips every mins or two.

Is it something that a total amateur can fix? If so how? Does this part even come off? I tightened the other valves but made no difference, still leaking from that same place.

Moderator note: Member is from the UK.

Last edited by PJmax; 11-25-20 at 03:44 PM. Reason: removed link/resized picture
Old 11-24-20, 05:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Is that an actual steam radiator........do you have steam heat ?
Is there just that one copper line or is there a second one ?

That looks like a thermostatic valve where you can set it to help control the room temperature.
Usually those valve are of right angle construction.

Can you post a second picture from further back so we can see the radiator where the valve connects.

Old 11-25-20, 04:50 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
I have seen straight radiator valves like yours but only in Europe. All that I've seen in the US are a 90° style but the straight ones are available, though you may have to order it. If ordering make sure you double check the thread size that goes into the radiator and the pipe size. Ones in the US will likely be ANSI/English while European ones will probably be metric.

They appear pretty straightforward to replace if you have a helper to remove and lift the radiator and the right tools. The valve screws into the radiator and then the other end has a compression fitting that you slip over the pipe. When you tighten the nut it clamps down and seals on the pipe. The ferrule and nut from the old fitting will remain on the pipe so you might be able to leave them in place and hope they seal with the new valve.

Old 11-25-20, 03:44 PM
Group Moderator
Good catch Dane. Member is from the UK. I added that to the post.

Old 11-26-20, 02:39 PM
N
OK I took cap off and saw where it was leaking. I removed the screw and put in some PTFE tape and tightened it back up again. Do you think this will work?

Plz see pics

Old 11-26-20, 03:38 PM
Group Moderator
What pics ?
If it's not leaking it should be ok.

Old 11-26-20, 04:26 PM
N
Old 11-26-20, 04:37 PM
N
OK I am getting there. Please can you tell me which by the numbers on the pic, the areas where I need to add the tape? thanks.

Old 11-26-20, 06:35 PM
N
OK still leaking from point 1 and the arrow below. Ive been advised to do the following, would you all agree?

Leak is coming from inside the chrome body, so I have been told where I need the tape is not visible from the outside of the valve,it's inside the chrome body. I need to take out the nut completely then I will see down inside the chrome body ,and where the spindle disappears into the gland. That's where the PTFE tape needs to be. Do you agree? Dont see how I can actually wrap the tape around anything as its inside, will prob have to just poke it right down as far as it will goI I did put PTFE tape on one part as you can see from pic, but its still leaking in part 1 and/or part 1B from the picture attached.

Old 11-26-20, 08:06 PM
Group Moderator
Tape is not going to work here.
When you remove that first nut there should be an O-ring or some type of packing.
When you take the valve apart the system will be under pressure. You need to have the water shut off and the pressure relieved. After going thru all of that it may be easier to change that valve for a new one.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: