Kitchen flooring and radiant heat?

Old 11-29-20, 07:59 AM
F
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Kitchen flooring and radiant heat?

I have a very old home with a kitchen whose floor is currently almost 4 years old. The floor is this horrible wood/polystyrene/linoleum layered mess that got wet one time too many. I am planning to rip the whole thing up, not scared to replace subfloor. Structure is solid, so I am planning to redo the floor with tile. The home uses hot water to heat so I also want to replace a radiator with radiant floor heating as well. I have a number of questions as I plan this:
- what do I need to do for the subfloor? Should I be using particle board or marine grade or some type of better material? Are there any special requirements (I.E. concrete) for the floor over the radiant piping?
-I have worked with PEX and have the tools I need. Does this type of application require 3/4? I assume I can just use a copper-to-PEX adapter from the radiator pipe. How do I size the manifold for the PEX?
-any other considerations?
thanks!

Old 11-29-20, 08:40 AM
Received 71 Votes on 61 Posts
I have installed radiant hot water heating in kitchen/dining room (solid wood floor) and 2 bathrooms (tile floor and engineered wood floor). In the kitchen/dining room I installed metal tracks below the sub floor (from the basement below). In the bathrooms I used floor tracks above the subfloor. The tile floor has cement board above the radiant as a base for the tile. The radiant works very well fed directly from my hot water heating system that I run at a boiler set point of 150 degrees. (The remainder of my house is mostly cast iron radiators. A set point of 150 may be too low for copper fin baseboard that typically uses 160 to 180. In that case a manifold and mixer may be needed to reduce the temperature to about 130 for the radiant.)

Look here for more information Radiant Heat resources.

You may not get enough heat out of a radiant system to eliminate a radiator. In the bathrooms the existing radiators remained. The kitchen/dining room already had some radiators removed and needed slightly more heat. The warm floor offsets that shortfall.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: