$15k for new mod/con boiler install with IHW

Old 12-04-20, 09:50 AM
_
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
$15k for new mod/con boiler install with IHW

I'm in the process of soliciting quotes for new boiler install. Peerless PF-80 and SSC-35 for IHW (system design attached. it states PF-50, but I consider PF-80 bc it's actually more reasonably priced and I might add another zone in the future).

I got 2 quotes so far and they are around $15k. Was it na´ve of me to expect it under $10k? This is happening in Mass and I expect about $3k back in rebates.

Here is what one of the proposal has listed:

We are pleased to provide you with a quote to furnish and install one new high-efficiency gas boiler in your home. The amount of this proposal is based on the following scope of work:

1. Drain down, disconnect, remove, and dispose of your existing boiler and water heater
2. Furnish and install one new Peerless High Efficiency Natural Gas Boiler, Model # PF-80
3. Furnish and install one new Superstore SSC-35 indirect Hot Water Tank
4. Furnish and install new PVC Flue Piping & Air intake piping to outside
5. Furnish and install new condensate pump and piping
6. Furnish and install new copper hydronic piping
7. Furnish and install new boiler accessories, including spirovent, expansion tank, circulators, zone valves, fastfill, back-flow preventer, purge valves, ball valves, and isolation valves
8. All required electrical wiring including relay/transformer
9. All permits, licenses, labor insurance, inspections, and taxes are included

Old 12-04-20, 01:10 PM
S
Received 61 Votes on 57 Posts
Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by spott; 12-04-20 at 01:40 PM.
Old 12-04-20, 01:38 PM
S
https://www.afsupply.com/htp-ssc-35-...er-heater.html

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Peerless...iAAEgJGsvD_BwE

These are the prices for the units you were quoted on plus the cost of all other components and the labor cost for whatever area you live in. Only you can judge if it's worth it. It sounds like a good size job. For that price I would get at least 3 quotes though.

From what you have listed you can go to the Supplyhouse sight and price out your stock if you want to but my guess is your complete stock is probably around 5000.00, the rest is labor and those incedentials they listed like ins. etc. Depending what your current layout is and what it takes to remove it 10,000.00 to me sounds a bit steep but it may be in line with your area.

Old 12-04-20, 06:09 PM
_
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Spott, thanks for the reply. pf-80 and ssc-35 are a little under 5k shipped to Mass. First contractor I talked to (still waiting for his quote) said he could do both of them cheaper.

Other things, like recircs, zone valves, isolation valves, expansion tank assembly, etc, lets say another grand. So 9k is labor, permits, etc. Honestly I don't know really know the cost/price for the install, but it does seem a little steep.

Let's the what other quotes will came back like.

Old 12-05-20, 05:42 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
That price is not out of line for that job.

Old 12-05-20, 06:36 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 156 Votes on 139 Posts
I've found there are 3 'levels' of HVAC contractors:
1) Big company, nice trucks, good proposal & staff processes. You'll get a 'white glove' service from them. They'll keep your house spotless, the installation will be clean, and you'll have a great experience with them. But their prices will be significantly higher to compensate for the training and support their staff gets.

2) Plumbing company that does HVAC. You'll still get the nice truck, but the staff will be a bit rough around the edges. Most of the company are plumbers, but 'Bill' has been doing HVAC for 20+ years and knows what he's doing. You won't get all the bells and whistles installed (who needs low water shutoff switches), but you'll save a few thousand $$.

3) Fly-by-night person. This is of course the roll of the dice, you might get someone with a lot of experience who does a good job, or you might get someone who talks a good game, but is learning as he goes. They probably aren't up on all the new technologies or installation practices, but you might get a good installation for a great price... or you might get a leak a month or two later.

I know this doesn't answer your question specifically, but having an idea of where the company fits into this scale might help you figure out if the price is reasonable based on the service they are providing.

Old 12-05-20, 06:39 AM
C
Received 122 Votes on 97 Posts
I live in CT and recently had my entire 2 zone heating system replaced including all new piping, baseboards and a new oil tank. Total cost was a $12K including the GC's "taste". I had bids ranging from $9K to $15K and one outlier bid at $21K. If I remember correctly material costs were under $6K.

Old 12-05-20, 12:56 PM
S
D,
Something you mentioned makes me cautious of this Co. and this is shipped to MA. I also live in Ma. and those items are readily avaialable at most supply houses and there are no shipping charges. I'm sure that contractor works out of supply houses and is no paying shipping charges but just wants to jack the price up.

That being said I wasn't going to mention it he listed BALL VALVES and ISOLATION VALVES under parts. Unless he's got different terminology they are the same thing. As far as his listing of insurance and licences that is something we all pay and is the cost of doing business. He wants his customers to pay for everything the state requires of him to be in business. In my opinion he's just trying to justify his excessively high prices.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: