Taco SR506 6 zone relay heating issue

Old 01-11-21, 01:00 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Taco SR506 6 zone relay heating issue

This is the zone that is hot hot hot.

I have one zone that no matter how low I put the thermostat or change the low,Med,high priority it is scorching hot compared to the other zones.
They are not cold by any means but it seems that that particular zone is constantly heating.

Old 01-11-21, 02:05 PM
Z
Received 33 Votes on 32 Posts
I know the boiler guys will be along, but it sounds to me like your zone valve for that zone might be stuck open. I don't have zone valves and I don't know how you check for that. I guess probably with a multi-meter. I don't think there is a way to visually check to see if it's stuck open. But the boiler guys will know.

Old 01-11-21, 04:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,324 Votes on 1,224 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

When you have a circulator for each zone..... there is no zone valve.

You need to see if the power to the pump is being shut off. You have to determine whether it's a zone controller problem or possible thermostat problem.

Does the zone controller show the circuit as being shut off ?
Each zone valve should/may have it's own check valve to keep hot water flowing when the pump isn't running.

Old 01-11-21, 04:57 PM
S
Received 61 Votes on 57 Posts
S,
My suggestion would be to shut off all stats and then turn on one and see if both zones heat up and continue to see if the problem starts.Do not turn on the bad one. On the pump casing you have an IFC which means the pumps have a built in Flocheck which could be possibly bad or missing. As was mentioned if this test passes check your control panel to see if the pump shuts off with nothing calling.

Old 01-12-21, 08:19 AM
Z
Received 33 Votes on 32 Posts
When you have a circulator for each zone..... there is no zone valve

holy crap!!! Now I know I am really losing it. I see zone valves when the picture clearly shows circulators - and they are even just like mine -lol !!!

Old 01-12-21, 08:42 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to move forward now?

So I will need maybe more help than your average diy gal. Iím not even seeing where I can shut certain ones off.
I tested the thermostat in that zone. Turned it up and the red light for that zone did light up. But when the thermostat is turned all the way down and the red light is off (for that zone) the floors in those zones are hot to the touch. The thermostat is in the hallway but I would guess those bedrooms and bathroom would register at 80 degrees. Gas bill seems quite a bit higher too even though we have had somewhat mild winter weather for Minnesota. If itís not too much to ask if you could circle in the pic where I should be shutting something off.
there is also this cupboard under the stairs that has tubes for the Infloor. Wasnít sure if you needed to maybe see these too.

Last edited by Starfkx; 01-12-21 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Adding pic
Old 01-12-21, 11:46 AM
S
Received 61 Votes on 57 Posts
The easiest thing gor you to try is turn the stats all the way down and everything should stop. Then other than the bad zone which you will leave off turn. Wait until everything cools down then turn up 1 stat at a time and besides the one you turned up check for heat in the bad zone. If the bad zone heats up when another zone calls but your bad zone pump is off or is suppose to be because the only thing that will turn that bad zone pump on is the stat then my guess would be your Flocheck in the bad zone pump is missing or defective.

Check to see if the pump is running with the stat off by what is stated below.

You can start with that and see what happens. Something simple you can do is to take a screwdriver and put the metal end on the bad zone pump and the other end to your ear like a stethoscope and see if you can hear the pump running. Do it on a pump you know is running and one that isn't so you will know what your listening for.

Hope this helps a little.

Old 01-13-21, 08:23 AM
D
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
Starkfx problem is another example of zones with multiple pumps creating new issues. Zone valves provide positive shut off, eliminating many of those issues.

A quick fix would be to install zone valve on problem zone. Wire that room thermostat to it and end switch activating circulator.

It would also help diagnostics to see which zones are active by wiring 120 pilot lights on each pump motor.

A modern fix would be installing zone valves on all zones. Then install one modern ECM Grundfos Alpha2 circulator that automatically adjusts to load changes as zone valves open and close.

One Grundfos Alpha2 typically costs less than two Taco 007 would replace 6 Taco 007's. The newer Taco 007e lack automatic flow control., with only benefit lower power consumption. Taco is very slowly using newer technologies.

Alpha2 use 75% electric power. They can be left powered on ramping up as zones activate.
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Grundfos...Rotated-Flange

Last edited by doughess; 01-13-21 at 10:16 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: