Boiler maintenance update

Old 01-16-21, 10:15 AM
Received 336 Upvotes on 288 Posts
Boiler maintenance update

This is an update to a thread I posted in 2015 about my gas-fired Burnham ES25 boiler: Maintenance dilemma

After 5 more years of operation I opened up the boiler to check its condition and clean it. Brushed the flues and vacuumed out the gas tubes and base. There was hardly any dust, rust, or corrosion. Replaced the hood gasket with Kaowool that I bought on Amazon for about $25 and have enough left for a lifetime if I ever consider doing this again. I had to split the 2 inch thickness in half to get the hood back in place.

Other than replacing the flue damper motor ($85) several years ago, this is the only maintenance I have had to do on this boiler since it was installed in 2013. After-the-fact I realized that the damper motor that failed had a manual bypass that I could have used if I wanted to ignore any chimney losses.

I have not calculated the cumulative fuel savings of gas over oil as I did for the first couple of years but I am pretty certain that I am approaching or have reached the point where the savings have paid for the installation. (Simple calculation ignoring interest, cost-of-money, etc.) Your results may vary.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: