Adding Zone Control Valves to Boiler

Old 01-18-21, 09:30 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Adding Zone Control Valves to Boiler

I recently had a new Weil McClain Gold CGA-4 boiler installed. I have 4 zones (two upstairs and two downstairs). I would like to add zone valves to each zone, but am having trouble figuring out what all I need to do it and how to wire it up. I have run thermostat wire to the locations I want the thermostats. I have watched many videos and read many threads, but none seem to be what I am looking for. One of my zones has a 2 wire zone valve installed, but not connected. I am not sure if that one needs replaced with a 4 wire or if using a 2 wire is fine. I'm assuming I need to get a zone valve controller; is that correct? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 01-18-21, 10:06 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You can use a zone controller or individual zone valves.
You should be using all the same zone valves. Mixing and matching will confuse the wiring.
A two wire zone valve is not useful here.

I like the Taco three wire style but the Honeywell 4 wire (2 red and 2 yellow) work better with standalone wiring. They come in 4 wire or have 5 terminals..... same difference. Part # V8043

Old 01-18-21, 11:32 AM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Hi, do you have a stand alone hot water heater fed off of boiler? If so you could benefit from the Taco ZVC relay.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.supplyho...-4-Install.pdf
Geo 🇺🇸

Old 01-18-21, 12:10 PM
S
Received 141 Upvotes on 133 Posts
J,
You mentioned you have 4 zones now. What is controling them now or am I missing something.

Old 01-18-21, 01:10 PM
J
I apologize, I used the wrong term. I have 4 runs. They are all controlled by one thermostat.

Old 01-18-21, 01:14 PM
J
I have a totally separate water heater that is not fed off of the boiler.

Old 01-18-21, 01:39 PM
S
Received 141 Upvotes on 133 Posts
J,
4 runs are a completely different configuration from 4 zones. Zones must be broken up so only 1 zone is controlled by a stat and ZV.

Pics would be very helpful to see how your system is piped. You might have to repipe the system to aquire 4 different zones. It may be a lot more work and expense than the electrical part of installing the zone valves.

Hope this helps a little.

Old 01-18-21, 03:56 PM
D
Received 105 Upvotes on 99 Posts
Several zone valves can be controlled by one thermostat.

DH has two thermostats that control multiple zone valves, others one valve. Rather than re-piping, split up single zone home with zone valves.

Circulator relay/controllers are unnecessary with modern autosensing Grundfos Alpha 2 circulators.

Alpha2 left powered on automatically adjusts to load changes as zone valves open and close. No zone valve end switch wiring necessary.

This modern way is far easier to set up, less complex and lower cost than old ways.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Grundfos...Rotated-Flange

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_elAwebxcE

Old 01-20-21, 05:18 PM
J
Thanks everyone for your responses. I was able to get it to and going. Appreciate it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: