Hot water heating system main pump burnt out

Old 02-25-21, 05:49 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hot water heating system main pump burnt out

The main pump TACO 007-F5-1IFC was burnt out this evening. It was caused by the leakage of its threaded joint.
I searched online, it seems that the TACO 007-F5-1IFC is not popular. I will call some local HVAC supply stores to see if I can find one.

Q1:
I have a new spare 007-F5-7IFC pump and two old working pumps, 007-F5 and 007_F5-12, from my old oil hot water heating system. Is it a good idea to use one of them if I cannot find a new 007-F5-1IFC pump? or Can you recommend me a good replacement model for the 007-F5-1IFC if the 1IFC is not available?

Q2:
I have to deal with the threaded joint. I have two options: re-tight it or replace it.
What is your opinion?
If replace it, do you think the Sweat Shut-Off Freedom Swivel-Flange Set, like those used in the above branches, is a good choice?

Old 02-25-21, 09:19 PM
D
Received 54 Votes on 52 Posts
Taco 007 is very generic pump. Nothing special, widely available. Most models are interchangable.

Locally HomeDepot and Lowes carry them.

Supplyhouse.com has next day delivery in Northeast.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/sh/contr...hText=tac0+007

Shut off/ isolation valves is alway good. Can keep other zones going while serving it.

Swivel flanges are great in many places.

Black ring gaskets last longer than flat red type.

diy007 voted this post useful.
Old 02-25-21, 11:11 PM
D
I was thinking to replace the cast iron flange with a bronze flange. But I found the bronze flange was discontinued a few years ago. The stainless steel flange is recommended alternative. Does the stainless steel material is more similar to copper than cast iron?

Old 02-26-21, 03:07 PM
D
Manufactures use carbon black to color natural rubber becaure it makes more reliable products.

In picture, red rubber gaskets on pump under “leak here” deteriorate, become porus, leak, rusting flanges and bolts.

Red 3 hole type gaskets, while popular, easier to use than round, square cross section type, create problems.

https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Weil-McL...t-for-Taco-007

https://www.supplyhouse.com/sh/contr...culator+gasket

Using more expensive bronze or stainless flanges avoids rust issue but could be avoided with round, black rubber gaskets.

DH is saltwater boater, knows how to mininized rust and corrosion issues. For flange bolts uses 7/16" NC stainless with nylon lock nuts.

Last edited by doughess; 02-26-21 at 03:31 PM.
Old 02-26-21, 06:21 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
If the existing pump has a suffix "IFC" then you have to put one back that is designated as the same. The IFC stands for " integral flow check" and unless you plan on adding a separate flow check valve you will get ghost flow in that zone when another zone turns on. As far as the leaky flange, once the pump is removed unscrew the flange (if you can) clean up the threads and reinstall the flange. Its nice to have isolation valves but as often as a pump needs to be replaced, just save a few bucks and reinstall the old one.

Old 02-26-21, 08:30 PM
D
replaced with a 007-F5-7IFC

The Taco 007 pump came with two round black rubber gaskets. Are you referring to them? I thought you are talking about a black three-hole gasket. I visited four local supply stores and finally found the black three-hole gasket.

The space is too tight. I couldn't use both the black three-hole gasket and the round rubber gasket. I didn't put the round gasket in. I hope it is ok.

Old 02-27-21, 09:44 AM
S
Received 82 Votes on 77 Posts
d,
The black round gaskets that come with the pump are the ones to use. There are grooves for lack of a better term cut into the flanges where the gaskets go so they are just about flush with the flanges.

If those black things sticking out of the flanges are the gaskets that came with the pump I don't believe you have them in correctly. You shouldn't be able to see anything when installed correctly.

Have no idea what 3 hole gaskets are for cieculator flanges.

Below is the sight and the flange gaskets for the Taco pump. These are more like O ring gaskets.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Taco-007-007RP-Taco-Replacement-Gaskets-Pair-4662000-p?gclid=Cj0KCQiA-OeBBhDiARIsADyBcE5ae3zC8ffXiSqKgjb-r-PmhRWR6LX9ZUEJrwuIL9bOk8DLATmNCV8aAu0JEALw_wcB

The ones below are what was called 3 hole gaskets. A little cofusing. In the business we actually call these full face gaskets.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Westwood-Products-H10-Circulator-Flange-Gasket-Kit-2-Red-Rubber-Flange-Gaskets-4-Bolts-w-Nuts?gclid=Cj0KCQiA-OeBBhDiARIsADyBcE4BvcS7xDeheUIFfj7sIu0kuwvM0nQtMQfz9mljHnBocHM2N-5uytsaAj5WEALw_wcB

Either ones work fine.

Hope this helps a little.

Last edited by spott; 02-27-21 at 10:02 AM.
Old 02-27-21, 09:17 PM
D
A major benefit of isolation valves is heating and hot water can continue with boiler on and other zones, while isolated section is worked on.

On cold days home owners like to have heat. To plumbers coming to fix a boiler problem that may not be big issue.

This DIYer puts his own interests firsts so years ago gave up the waiting and paying plumbers.

S. :Have no idea what 3 hole gaskets are for cieculator flanges
Gaskets on circulator under "leak here" label has 3 holes, two for 7/16" bolts and one 1-3/8" for passage. Taco round gasket 007-007RP has only 1 hole. Number of holes was simple way to distinguish types

Last edited by doughess; 02-27-21 at 09:40 PM.
Old 02-28-21, 08:39 AM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
I could be wrong but the top of that boiler looks like a high efficiency. It is also piped P/S so the use of an IFC is really not needed on the boiler pump. Also if it is a high efficiency boiler, is a 007 actually big enough?

Old 03-01-21, 07:35 PM
D
diy007 post # 7: The space is too tight. I couldn't use both the black three-hole gasket and the round rubber gasket. I didn't put the round gasket in
In post #7 picture the copper 3/4” tube assembly above pump is supported with galvanized steel hanger strap.

To ease removal of pumps and then reinstall with gasket, instead of strap, DH uses light chain and turnbuckle.

To remove pump, loosen 7/16” flange bolts, then tighen turnbuckle to open gap between pump flanges. Then remove bolts and pump.

Most piping setups have flexibility to allow 1/4” gap without issue

Last edited by doughess; 03-01-21 at 08:54 PM.
Old 03-07-21, 04:27 AM
D
I used the second one, full face gasket, and it is in black color.

Old 03-07-21, 04:37 AM
D
I could be wrong but the top of that boiler looks like a high efficiency. It is also piped P/S so the use of an IFC is really not needed on the boiler pump. Also if it is a high efficiency boiler, is a 007 actually big enough?.
Yes, it is a high-efficiency boiler, Burnham Alpine ALP105.

The boiler pump is the same as other zone pumps right now. Whether it is big enough is also what I am doubting about. What is the downside if the boiler pump is not big enough? Do you have any suggestions for further improvement?

Old 03-07-21, 08:54 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Good catch on that being a high-e boiler. That being an Alpine 105 it needs either a Taco 0014 or a Grundfoss 26-99. Not getting enough flow through the boiler can cause short cycling issues and possible damage to the boiler. Also your efficiency will drop due to not carrying enough heat away from the boiler to let it condense.

Old 03-07-21, 10:17 AM
D
diy007 - The boiler pump is the same as other zone pumps right now. Whether it is big enough is also what I am doubting about. What is the downside if the boiler pump is not big enough? Do you have any suggestions for further improvement?
Many pump sizing issues can be eliminated with modern auto-sensing Grundfos Alpha 2 circulators which also use less power.

Alpha2 automatically adjusts to load changes as zone valves open and close. They can be left powered on eliminating need for zone valve end switch wiring and circulator controllers /relays, greatly simplifing wiring, diagnosics and trouble shooting.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Grundfos...w-Terminal-Box

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_elAwebxcE

The Alpha2 has far more capacity that Taco 007. Here are charts for both brands:

https://www.arcticheatpumps.com/imag...acurve-jpg.jpg

https://usermanual.wiki/Pump/125706T...ide-Page-1.png

Last edited by doughess; 03-07-21 at 12:20 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: