Beckett GeniSys Model 7505-1515 Burner Control

Old 05-11-21, 05:57 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Beckett GeniSys Model 7505-1515 Burner Control

I have one of these with an open primary in the on board power transformer. I would like to repair it and have it as a backup. Is there anyplace I can purchase a replacement transformer for this unit?

Thanks

Old 05-11-21, 06:29 AM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Hi, are there any mfg. numbers on the transformer, if so try and trace one down using them.
Geo

Old 05-11-21, 08:30 AM
N
I tried searching on the part numbers on the transformer with no luck. I have attached a picture of the label on the transformer.

Old 05-11-21, 06:03 PM
D
Received 105 Upvotes on 99 Posts
Nutmeg55 might consider instead of new 7505 transformer, upgrading system with either Honeywell 7248U and Carlin 70200 primary controls for less than $70.

The basic Becket 7505 is $70 but lacks many features and benefits of Honeywell and Carlin controls. Those have digital LCD display to show status, history, lockout status with alarm contacts. Have
alarm feature that can be used to immediately alert occupants to control lockout on cold winter nights.

Trouble shooting and diagnostics is much easier. Display shows real time status i.e. “Standby” cycle stage, flame status or reason for lockout. Various time periods can be selected.

With Beckett must buy different model 7505 for different times. Beckett digital display is $73 add on for total twice that of others $140. Beckett formerly sold rebranded Honeywell controls then came out stripped down 7505Often cost of replacing original part is higher than newer model.

When facing repair costs, is good time to improve and save.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Honeywel...ic-Oil-Primary
https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.supplyho...s/R7284Bro.pdf

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Carlin-C...ontrol-120-VAC

Last edited by doughess; 05-11-21 at 06:42 PM.
Old 05-12-21, 03:17 AM
N
Doughess, thanks for the tip on the other controllers.

Old 05-12-21, 09:22 PM
D
Nutmegg55; If you buy new controller power up 120 vac on bench to learn setup before installing on burner.

Buy connect spare CAD cell and connect to unit, otherwise will lockout when not sensing flame. When powering for first 15 seconds, cover cell window, then uncover to simulate flame.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Honeywel...tor-w-15-leads

Comes with colored wire pigtails to ease connecting. They need 120 VAC at all times to display status. If current unit get 120 VAC from aqusatat that wire is still goes to "limits" start burner. Will need additional wire for the 120AC . If wiring in junction box on burner is crowded put hollow 4” electric box on top of it.

Old 05-13-21, 09:55 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Doubtful you'll find that transformer with that part number. Those parts usually carry a private part number. It does cross over to some various transformers but you'd need to physically measure to make sure of correct fit. The tech sheets listed in the product descriptions supply voltages, currents and sizes.

3FD-220 transformer
164E24 transformer

Old 05-13-21, 02:19 PM
N
Doughess,
Thank you for that tip on the other brands of controllers.

Pjmax,
I have attached a picture of the PCB showing the silk screen markings of the transformer secondary. They indicate two separate windings, one is 8 VAC and the other is 24 VAC. There is no connection between those two windings.

All the transformers from the links you showed indicate two windings of equal voltage. Obviously this transformer was made special for this application.

If you guys hear of one of these controllers that are being tossed for not working I would be interested in getting it for parts.

Thanks

Old 05-13-21, 03:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Very strange..... that board is labeled +24v and -24v.
Connections are not usually labeled with polarity on a transformer as it can only be AC...... not DC.
Mixed voltage transformers are rare especially for something like that.

Old 05-13-21, 03:53 PM
N
From what I can tell the pads labeled 8V only go to a bridge rectifier (U1) AC inputs. The bridge positive output pin then goes to a filter cap and then to a +5 volt regulator (U2). The negative output pin of the bridge is connected to the transformer pad labeled 24V- and seems to be the common return for the board. So I'm thinking the pad labels don't actually pertain to the transformer but are in reference to the board layout.

Old 05-14-21, 12:19 PM
D
Some of these transformers have tiny fuse element just under the outer most wrapping. Have also found bad solder connections there.

Even if fixed dit is still is missing the benefits of upgrading to modern control are well worth $70.

Old 05-14-21, 01:50 PM
N
The controller actually belongs to my neighbor, he has a service contract and the controller was changed under the service contract.

The bad controller suffered an over-voltage when it was powered by a portable generator when power went out last year. The generator has since been repaired.

The transformer primary was damaged so bad the tape wrapping was budging, so I think more than the internal fuse was damaged.

I was given the controller just to play with. If it could be repaired for a reasonable price I would do it and give it back as a backup, but that does not seem to be the case.

I posted here because I have found the people here are the most knowledge around when it comes to heating systems.

doughess voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: