Taco Impeller Destroyed

Old 01-03-22, 12:43 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Taco Impeller Destroyed

Hi,

I noticed I wasn't getting heat and suspected my Taco pump was the culprit.
When I took it out I notices that the impeller was completely destroyed.

Anyone know what might cause this?
And if I need to worry about pieces that made it through the pipes?

Notice the impeller is in pieces in the middle.

Old 01-03-22, 01:00 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Hopefully the impeller failed catastrophically in one event which would stop the water flow and keep the bits pretty close to the pump. If it lost pieces over time they may have gotten circulated to other parts of your system.

Old 01-03-22, 03:59 PM
G
Received 28 Upvotes on 27 Posts
What is the full model number of the Taco pump? The recent versions have a nylon impeller - which I wouldn't expect to shatter. And they are now white.

PJmax voted this post useful.
Old 01-04-22, 02:36 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Looks like similar pump I just installed on my house hot water recirc line, the impeller was black, hope not to see the same issue some day!

It had to be a material issue, old age, something in the water that hardened the impeller.

Old 01-04-22, 08:08 PM
D
Received 105 Upvotes on 99 Posts
While there are many reasons for the impeller to fail, a whole house water filter on feed to both boiler and DHW system eliminates or reduces many problems. Often rust particles from city water main systems raises havoc in may ways.

Filters with clear plastic housings are best. Some have built in valve for shut off when changing filter. There are many types, this is low cost.

https://www.masterflex.com/i/pentair...AaAlN8EALw_wcB

Old 01-04-22, 08:31 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I flushed the system in reverse, by shutting the hot water valve and opening the cold water valve.

Then I opened my spigot that sits just after my pump. So hopefully the cold water flowing in reverse and out the spigot got any debris that was stuck.

I installed my new 005-020SB cartridge for my 006-b4 Taco bronze pump which now has a black impeller. Everything is working fine now.

Old 01-05-22, 11:21 AM
D
Received 105 Upvotes on 99 Posts
Life of impellers on DHW circulators can be extended with a small, wire screen, $47 filter. Periodically can flush, back- wash debris by opening bottom valve.

https://www.amazon.com/iSpring-WSP-1...20070569&psc=1

Taco's cheap impellers frequently fail costing $100 parts, shipping is great way to increase investor profits.

A $47 filter is DIYer tax free cost savings that can add up over the years.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: