Weil-McClain Boiler - Hot Water Maker (only warm)

Old 07-12-22, 07:24 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Weil-McClain Boiler - Hot Water Maker (only warm)

The water in my shower and sinks can only get WARM. I crank the handle to the extreme left in the shower....my skin should be burning but the water is just warm. The setting on the water storage tank that interacts with my boiler still reads " 100 " I just ticked it up to 101 and came to this forum to post my situation. I believe my system would be called "Indirect Fired Water Heater"
Any insight as to why I DO actually HAVE warm water...yet I cannot achieve HOT water???
Thanks in advance!
Steve

Old 07-12-22, 07:56 PM
This is the Original Poster providing more information to help upcoming responders.
I have a 2 floor home.
My system is thus a 2 Zone System.
After posting my thread question I went into the garage and touched the pipes from the Boiler Itself....two of them are very HOT. I assume one for each zone. Yet the separate water storage unit that only has a little dial for me to set the desired temperature...that has a red colored pipe going into/out of it....and THAT pipe is just warm to the touch.

Old 07-13-22, 01:20 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
I moved your thread as you have a boiler used for DHW.

The aquastat on the storage tank should have settings upwards to at least 150°.
You should be able to set the hot water storage tank fairly high.

It would be good if you could post a few pictures of what you have there.
How to insert pictures.
What is the temperature shown on the boiler thermometer ?

Old 07-13-22, 07:22 AM
Would the water tank associated with a Weil McClain Indirect Fired water Heater need to be flushed?
I'm talking about the tank that holds the water....NOT the boiler.

Old 07-13-22, 10:00 AM
Group Moderator
I don't believe the storage tank requires flushing.
If you post the model I could check into it.

Old 07-13-22, 12:22 PM
S
Received 141 Upvotes on 133 Posts
Your Indirect does not require flushing. The way it works is there is a coil that goes up through the middle of the tank that contains the circulated boiler water and heats the surrounding fresh potable water that is delivered to your fixtures. It is just like another zone on your boiler controled by its own temperature control completely divorced from your heating zones.

You mentioned you had it set at 100 deg. Remember your body temp is around 98 so 100 being close to body temp will not feel hot. If you turn up the temp control on the tank and see if that does it.

What you might do is check other fixtures like the kitchen and bathroom sinks and check the water temp there. If they are all the same then your trouble is coming from the tank area. Check the temp control and make sure the boiler water is circulating to and from the boiler. The supply and return from the tank should be hot. If the water is hot at the kitchen and bathroom faucets but not the tub then check your shower valve.

Hope this helps a little.

Old 07-13-22, 01:59 PM
Poster #5 and Poster #6 were both helpful.
I had a hunch that it did not need flushing.
Additionally, my warm water IS NOW HOT water. Ticking it up from 100 to 101 maybe "woke it up".
This happened about a year ago.
It's like it electronically needed a reset.
Does that make sense?

Old 07-13-22, 05:32 PM
Group Moderator
The water in the storage tank should be near the set temperature.

There are many reasons why it wouldn't get there...
1) defective aquastat on storage tank
2) boiler temp low - not firing
3) defective zone valve
4) defective or inoperative circulator pump

Old 07-13-22, 06:54 PM
Yet Pete, why did me ticking the setting from 100 to a mere one higher ( 101 ) "solve" the "problem" ?
The quotes are there because it may not be a permanent solution and it wasn't a big problem.

Old 07-15-22, 08:04 AM
S
Received 141 Upvotes on 133 Posts
Theoretically going up 1 deg shouldn't have made a difference and that would not have reset anything but on the other hand as they say "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth". Since everything seems back to normal there is nothing you will find right now. Enjpy your hot water.

Old 08-01-22, 09:18 PM
D
Received 105 Upvotes on 99 Posts
Accurate Boiler Water Temperature Control

Many problems with boilers and indirect hot water systems result from old technology aquastats that cannot accurately control temperature closely and are often 10 to 30 degrees off setting with sluggish response.

Simple low cost $169 solution with ±1 F degree control Tekmar 256 aquastat with outdoor sensor. Displays actual water temp, setting of max/limit i.e. 180F and outdoor temp. Has menus to optimize home settings that can lower fuel costs and save 20%.

https://www.patriot-supply.com/produ...cfm/TEKMAR_256

If current “aquastat” is multifuntion type also controlling burner and ciculators, etc. just Tekmar 256 contacts to activate burner start/limit

DH has long used a Tekmar on 1957 Weil-McLain boiler with tankless coil and indirect water heat.

Last edited by doughess; 08-01-22 at 09:36 PM.
Old 08-02-22, 09:39 AM
D
Received 105 Upvotes on 99 Posts
31NotHandy might get the hot water problem solved faster by remembering old saying “A picture is worth a 1,000 words.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: