Burnham x205 Wiring hook up questions

Old 12-05-22, 04:49 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Burnham x205 Wiring hook up questions

Just installed my first "small" boiler system, replacing a giant 1970s Hydro-therm. I believe I have all my plumbing and gas hooked and ready to go but I'm a little unsure when it comes to the electrical for the pump and boiler. This system has "only one zone running around a 2300sgft house. The old system was wired for the pump to run 110v - 24/7 on its own. The boiler had "no" electric going to it (constant pilot), and the thermostat was an old simple 2 wire. I have hooked up the 110 to the new boiler system. My questions are: the thermostat wires on the unit are both yellow, does it make any difference what goes to what? Then does the pump run on its own 110v line like it used to running 24/7 or does it run back from the main board going on and off as the system calls for it? I'm not a schematics guy and no one was willing to do boilers in my area, they all wanted to install the new High Eff style. Thanks

Old 12-05-22, 06:50 PM
S
Received 141 Upvotes on 133 Posts
Your thermostat wires have no polarity so it doesn't matter how they are hooked up to the stat. Your circulator will only run on a call for heat.

You said you had no power to your other boiler's gas system so it sounds like you had a powerpile system. Your old thermostat might not work with a 24V system. Powerpile systems were self generating and ran without power which is why they ran your pump on a seperate circuit because it was added later.

Old 12-06-22, 06:01 AM
M
I made a mistake on 110v

Yes, it turned out it did have power but the repairman who worked on it last year (yes Ive been without heat 18 months) removed it saying he was looking for a replacement part. But never returned it. So I was in error, I saw in a very old picture of it from when I bought the house that there was an electrical box on the front of it, but that the pump wires ran through the box not connected to it Thank you for the Stat information, now I just have to figure out what the new pump system ties into with this modern boiler. The Burnham information for install is great except for this part.

Old 12-06-22, 06:11 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
What does that boiler have for a controller ?
Possibly an aquastat where the thermostat connects.
Too many variables to guess.

Pictures are very helpful.... How to insert pictures.

Old 12-06-22, 06:35 AM
M
hoping I do this correctly

Old 12-06-22, 07:11 AM
Group Moderator
Looks like the older controller....103660-02.
I'll be back after I look it up.

Old 12-06-22, 02:35 PM
Received 66 Upvotes on 55 Posts
The heating circulator will wire to the yellow wire in the same junction box that the line voltage wired into, The wire is tagged as heat circulator. Your black wire to the circulator will go the yellow wire and the white wire from the circulator will wire to all the other white wires.
The thermostat wire does not matter on most thermostats unless it is important the 24V input needs to go to the R terminal like a nest thermostat.
This is the newer control used after the 9/2012 code update.

PJMAX - The older control had 4 line voltage wires on the lower right side molex, newer has 5 due to being able to run 2 circulators. The second way of knowing it is a newer control is the control has DHW 1&2 terminals near the little display.

2john02458, PJmax voted this post useful.
Old 12-06-22, 03:15 PM
Group Moderator
I was out in the field when I saw that and posted. Too many controllers to remember and comment on.
I've seen a replacement for that controller that states that model is obsolete and replaced.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: