Hot Water Heater leaking after being drained.

Old 12-20-22, 01:38 PM
T
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Hot Water Heater leaking after being drained.

Started leaking this morning. Turned off the water supply and the gas. Drained the tank. Now 6 hours later there is still water drippiing out of the drain and leaking onto the floor. The water coming out is clear and cold and I can hear dripping inside the tank. Is it possible that water is leaking into the tank even though it is shut off? I've been sopping up water all day and the only next step I can think of is shutting the water main off. Help!

Old 12-20-22, 02:17 PM
T
I should have clarified that the drain is dripping AND there is a leak somewhere near the bottom. Managed to speak with a plumber who informed me that for all single-lever faucet and sink handles, unless they are turned on all the way on the cold side (for example turning on half way between hot and cold even though no hot water is coming out) then the pipes will put cold water back into the heater.

That seems to have been the issue. Would appreciate any other pointers / thoughts.

Old 12-20-22, 02:44 PM
C
Received 86 Upvotes on 68 Posts
When you install a new tank, or have one installed, put ball valves in both the hot and cold lines so the tank can be isolated in the future without impacting cold water use elsewhere. As the plumber said, when hot water is turned off, cold water will backflow through any single handle faucets unless they are set to full cold, and even then you may get some backflow through mixing type shower valves that might not have a "cold-only" setting on the dial.

Old 12-20-22, 05:14 PM
T
Thanks Carbide.

Old 12-21-22, 06:31 AM
T
Update

Even though we had all faucets set on full cold and left them off when we went to bed water somehow got into the unit and leaked onto the floor at 3:00 a.m. There was one upstairs bathroom faucet that had a small leak - would not shut all the way off. But that was set on full cold. What could account for water getting back down to the water heater and leaking?

Old 12-21-22, 06:56 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,707 Upvotes on 1,525 Posts
It sounds like your shutoff valve is leaking.

Old 12-21-22, 08:46 AM
T
Shutoff seems fine - cannot hear any noise or dripping. But the plumber who came out told me that any time cold water is used, some will flow over to the hot water side and drip back to the tank, He said to shut off all hot water shutoffs below the faucets, etc. and that should stop the back flow to the tank. Going to give that a try.

Old 12-21-22, 05:59 PM
G
Received 24 Upvotes on 23 Posts
I am still a little bit confused here. Is the issue that water continues to flow into the tank and out the drain? Or is the tank itself leaking out onto the floor? If the tank itself is leaking onto the floor, then just replace the hot-water heater.

Old 12-21-22, 06:38 PM
T
The water continues to flow into the tank. I have the drain fully opened. Water is leaking from the drain and also out of the bottom of the broken heater. Problem resolved: called the plumber.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: