19 yo Burnham Oil Burner leaking Water(?)

Old 01-22-23, 12:17 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
19 yo Burnham Oil Burner leaking Water(?)

Found smallish puddle on floor under and next to oil burner. Never have seen this in the past; nothing vividly leaking, and no obvious source. Heavy rain 2 days ago, and we have had seepage in basement in the past, but never in that specific area. Boiler seems to be running fine.
Suggestions?

Last edited by MB McProc; 01-22-23 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Delete
Old 01-22-23, 03:21 PM
C
Received 270 Upvotes on 221 Posts
Take a look at the anti siphon/check valve that should be located near your pressure tank.

Old 01-22-23, 03:36 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
After I posted above wet vacced up the water so I'd be able to see if it was still leaking, saw the drip coming from the expansion pipe from the relief valve, (yes I had to Google a labeled diagram so I'd have the correct names). I also boned up on the possible causes. We'll be calling the Service man tomorrow.

Old 01-22-23, 07:27 PM
S
Received 129 Upvotes on 121 Posts
Your relief valve releases at 30 PSI so unless the relief valve was faulty then something raised the boiler pressure to 30 psi. High pressure is usually caused by a couple of things. It could be your boiler feed valve or pressure reducing valve leaking by or most likely your extrol tank.

Check your boiler pressure cold and then check it hot. If it reaches around 30 hot from maybe 15 cold then your bladder in your extrol tank is defective. Either you need a new tank or at least an air charge.

Hope this helps a little.

Old 01-23-23, 09:13 PM
D
Received 99 Upvotes on 93 Posts
Before spending money on service guy try simple check.

There are several reasons why boiler water pressure rises from normal, i.e. 12 psi the pressure relief vales open, releasing water.

One common reason is leaking valve seat on pressure regulator that supplies water to maintain 12 psi.

A simple test is shut off water feed valve to pressure regulator. Then drain boiler water until pressure gauge reads 12 psi.

Watch pressure for day or two. If pressure does not increase then, original pressure rise may be due to leaking valve seat on pressure regulator.

If pressure did rise with water feed valveOFF to pressure regulator , then often is due to tankless hot water coil weak

A benefit of most auto vent valves (to release/vent/purge air In elementss) is they Open when air is in chamber. That feature also allows air into system to facilitate venting when draining..

Anti siphon valves are unnecessary so most systems do not have have them.,

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: