how to wire boiler for a plug?

Old 02-20-24, 03:22 PM
L
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
how to wire boiler for a plug?

In anticipation of getting my portable battery generator I want to wire my boiler with a plug so during and outage I can unplug it from the outlet and plug it into the generator. I have the tekmar and of course the circulators. I started taking the plate off to study the wiring then I realized there was no need to play around with all the wires in that box. I really donít want to do that.

My idea was cut into the sheathing on the run coming out of the electric box and mount an outlet above the tekmar box. Then put a plug on 3 wires coming out of the sheathing. However im not quite sure if when doing all this the existing wiring will be long enough. Any way to tell? Maybe enough slack in that line?

Or open to other suggestions

Old 02-21-24, 10:56 AM
D
Received 105 Upvotes on 99 Posts
The first thing is put a power off/safety switch and receptacle box on the BX cable feeding 120 volts AC to 4Ē box in picture.

Make up cable with plugs wide blades, narrow blades connected with same wire. Mark new plug and burner off switch burner receptacle with same color tape.

Then when power outage, before plugging in cable to 120 Volt backup/generator power turn off switch.

When power fails, turn off new switch. Plug in colored plug to new receptacle with color tape. With other male plug to 120 volt power generator.

To avoid building aned electric code issues haver my generator on wheels in garage with male 50 Amp range plug on cable for 7 KW genertor. Box is labeled Welder. . .

Old 02-21-24, 11:10 AM
D
This should be added to Post #1 To avoid town building requirements/codes on generator installation have 7.5 KW generator on wheeled cart in garage. Town inspectors found no issues after major damage to house from hurricane.

Last edited by doughess; 02-21-24 at 11:37 AM.
Old 02-21-24, 11:17 AM
D
This was missing from prior post:
To avoid town building codes on generator installation have 7.5 KW generator on wheeled cart in garage. Town building inspector found no issues after damage from hurricane.

Old 02-21-24, 11:40 AM
L
no worries about inspectors. if i thought i could do it id get a new panel and/or transfer switch . but had an electrician in here for a backup generator and he said the wires in the panel may be too short for a new panel (i have 2 panels side by side) and he said no room for the boxes needed for a whole house generator. basically he said it's a can of worms i dont want to open up. plus i think he said something about no transfer boxes for my pushmatics so even if i just wanted the transfer box, cant do it. so no way id let an inspector in lol

so my ecoflow 3600 unit is just going to sit in the utility room and when the juice goes out ill plug in the boiler and all the creature comforts from my living room and be happy for a few hours.

Old 02-21-24, 05:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,986 Upvotes on 3,578 Posts
Your picture with the blue diagram is what you want to do.
Set the box on the BX line coming from the panel. Install a receptacle there.
Since the panel is in sight of the boiler... a service switch is not required.
Remove the piece of BX going to the box.
Replace with a three wire power cord.
I would use a cord and connector exactly like this..... 3' power cord with connector
You want to a cord of at least #14 gauge.

@ Doug.... this is not a generator install. It's a battery/inverter system.
Box is labeled Welder. . .
How does that fly ?
A generator uses a box with a male receptacle,
The welder uses a box with a female receptacle.
You aren't using a suicide cord..... are you ?

Old 02-21-24, 07:45 PM
D
The method in doughess post #1 was used with inverter that powered the oil burner heating system.

When inverter batterys died aquired gas fired generator. Has on off breaker, pilot light and male 50 amp plug.

There were several long, whole community outages ,where gas stations could not pump gas for generator.

i.e. Hurricane Sandy resulted in week long outages.

The 50 amp recepticle was originally used for arc welder. Left label on it to disassociate it from welder.

Because generator has wheels, is portable it does not meet Town code for "installation"

Last edited by doughess; 02-21-24 at 08:06 PM.
Old 02-24-24, 04:45 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
first question would be what type boiler so you have?
Some of the newer cast iron boiler controls do not like less expensive generators.
Most high efficiency boilers can be a real headache with many generators.

Old 02-25-24, 06:48 AM
L
Old 02-26-24, 02:22 PM
L
tackled the project today. initially put the outlet to the right of the switch then realized it was under the pipe. so decided to use the mysterious wooden block that was on my wall since the day i moved in. at first it didnt work when was called for heat but did work for DWH demand so i knew the boiler was ok. i attribute it to the ecoflow stat saying it was calibrating. but tested it a few times to call for heat and works fine. it's dinner so another day ill actually plug it into the ecoflow battery and in case it needs the grounding adapter i bought that. now just hoping for my first outage in cold weather lol. maybe ill never have an outage again since i bought this.

Old 02-28-24, 03:14 PM
L
as expected when i tried the ecoflow without the grounding, it just started the flame and turned off after a few seconds. i installed the grounding adapter from the company and the boiler works fine. ran it thru a complete cycle up to temp and all was well. will run it over night as a test for the fun of it. the adapter works by taking the AC cord from the battery and plugging one end into the adapter and the other end to the AC on the battery then plugging the communications cable between the 2. im not an electric guy so dont know why that works but it does! so now i can have heat for 10 hours on a cold winter day with no juice. but of course some of that would run the 'stuff ' in my living room for comfort of course

it was less than 600 starting watts and about 350 running watts.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: