Argo Relay Clicking - C Wire?

Old 04-29-24, 05:45 PM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Argo Relay Clicking - C Wire?

I'll try to make sense, but I am sure I will fail.

Background: I have 4 heating zones (all Nest E thermostats) plus I think another zone for the hot water tank. When the new zones were added, there were two relays added - one Taco relay (left) and one Argo relay (right). The Taco relay has the priority set to off and the isolated end switch is connected to the Argo isolated end switch (I am assuming to connect the two). The water tank (which is set for priority) is connected to the Argo relay. The heating zones are connected to both.

When the new zones were added, some of the old thermostat wiring (i.e., 2 wire) did not have a common. Additionally, not all the new wires (i.e., 3+ wires) were connected to the C for the new thermostats. I ended up putting two C wires from two thermostats onto the same C port in the Argo relay box. This solved the same problem I am going to describe below.

In the Taco relay, it looks like the green ground wire from a 3 wire thermostat is connected to one of the connections on 24VAC (probably to power the ground to act as a C since that is the connection on the thermostat side). In the Argo relay, there are two C wires from two thermostats going to one C port. There is an open 24VAC port in the Argo relay.

Issue: Recently, the Argo box has been making a buzzing sound and lighting up three lights (1 red and two yellow/orange). This goes on for about 5-10 minutes and seemingly seems to happen when the boiler is "firing up". The red light seems to be a priority LED.

Guess: As I said, I solved a similar issue years ago by doubling up C wires onto one c port in the Argo relay. It seemed that the thermostats were drawing too much energy to power the thermostat and heat at the same time. So, I am thinking this is happening again. I usually have my heat off at this point in the season, but the thermostats draw power when the heat is triggered to turn on. But since it has been warm, I am guessing that the thermostats are not staying charged long enough and the few times it needs to draw power it can't do both at the ame time again.

Questions: Is the 24VAC port good to power the C wire?
Is it OK to have multiple thermostats plugged into the same C port?
I am thinking about connecting the disconnected C wire (blue) to the open port on the 24VAC on the Taco relay. Can this work?
Also, if it is an issue to have 2 C wires on the same port, can I connect the other one to the 24VAC in the Argo relay?

I obviously could be way off, and this is way too long, but I hope I made some sense.

Old 05-01-24, 04:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,149 Upvotes on 3,726 Posts
You have a Taco zone control panel on the left and an Argo zone panel on the right.
They are 100% standalone.
The only connection they should be sharing is the isolated end switching for boiler control.

So you troubleshoot panels separately and don't cross connect C wiring.
You have 4) Nest E thermostats. Do they all have a C connection to the zone controller ?
With these type controllers... a C is almost mandatory.
The batteries must be charged and without a C connection requires the nest power adapters.

Animal827 voted this post useful.
Old 05-07-24, 06:03 PM
A
Yes, they share the isolated end switching. Only the Argo box is buzzing. I do not want to "cross" c wires, but connect the c wire to the 24VAC port in the boxes. Not all the thermostats have the c wire connected, which is why i want to connect that c wire that is not connected to the zone in the Taco box.

Update: I have turned off the heat in the house, and the Argo box is still buzzing seemingly when it needs to heat the water tank. It happens maybe once a day or less, but then again, I am not sitting in my basement all day, but I do spend several hours a day down there.

I think in the fall I charge 1 (maybe 2) thermostats by usb. Is there any more pictures or explanations I can give about the zones that may help?

Old 05-07-24, 06:45 PM
Group Moderator
If you only have two wires to the nest or it doesn't have a C terminal.... you can use a power adapter.
It connects at the zone controller. .......... Nest power adapter

Just an example of connecting the power adapter to an Argo controller.
If you decide to go this way I can supply you with a diagram.... like this one.

Animal827 voted this post useful.
Old 06-13-24, 10:37 AM
A
Sorry for not being clear. I have 5 zones, 1 for the water tank and 4 for thermostats. All thermostats are Nest E. All but one are connected to the Taco or Argo relay. I am Asking if I should connect the one remaining Nest E to the other 24VAC port on Taco. I have included pics to hopefully explain better.

Stat 1 has a green c wire connected to 1 of the 2 24VAC ports on the Taco relay. Stat 2 has a blue c wire that is currently not connected. This is the one I want to connect to the other 24VAC port on the Taco relay. Stat 3 and stat 4 both have blue c wires that are connected to the common port on the Argo relay. The water tank is connected to the Argo Relay on zone, which is priority.

The heating system has been off, and I will get the buzzing/clicking sound 1 or 2 times a day for about 5 minutes.

My naive and probably wrong guess is that when the water in the tank needs to be heated, its fighting with the energy to keep the Nest thermostats charged. It may only happen 1 or 2 times since the thermostats are holding enough charge to allow the water tank to be heated other times of the day.

Old 06-13-24, 11:09 AM
Group Moderator
On that green connector.... the top terminal is R/24vac.
The bottom terminal is the C. Both thermostat's C wires should go to the bottom terminal.

Old 06-17-24, 08:33 AM
A
I am sich an idiot. I never even saw that connection was named Common. I will insert the rogue blue common wire into the same connection with the green common wire. Hopefully the buzzing and clicking will stop.

Old 06-17-24, 01:50 PM
Group Moderator
Old 07-03-24, 04:03 PM
A

Unfortunately, this did not help. The buzzing continues. 4 LED lights go on for 1 (red), 2 (yellow), 3 (yellow), 4 (red). Otherwise, the box is dark. If I needed to get this repaired, is a solution just one box? This electrical but specific to plumbing, so not even sure who to contact. How much are we looking here for peace of mind?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: