Window removal

Old 12-21-02, 09:05 PM
David Dickson
Visiting Guest
Window removal

I am planning to remove a window in the bathroom of our CBS home. Can you tell me where I can go to get the steps involved in closing the window and finishing the stucco outside?

Old 12-22-02, 01:41 AM
pmgca
Visiting Guest
Window removal

Hi,

To give you an accurate answer, I need more information. Can you tell me about the window (situation, materials) and about the wall (materials, finishes, etc).

Best,

Old 12-22-02, 08:11 AM
David Dickson
Visiting Guest
Thanks for responding, Patricia. The window is an awning type (three horizontal panels, the bottom of each moves out when you turn the crank. I am redoing the entire bathroom and want to eliminate the window and put in an exhaust fan or blower, probably using part of the hole created by removing the window.

As I said, the house is cement block stucco, so there is stucco on the outside. The house is one story. On the inside, I will be removing the window framing and replacing the sheetrock. We will probably put waterproof wallpaper on that wall. The window is above the toilet and is on an outside bearing wall, so I will have to be careful to not remove whatever header is there to support the weight of the roof. I had planned to replace the sheetrock on that wall with cement board at least around the toilet. I guess I may not know exactly what can be safely removed until I get the window out. But in other windows in the house that I have removed, there are wood studs embedded in the wall and a wood beam embedded in the top and bottom of the opening that are exposed once the window is out. If that is the case, I can probably just take out the window, fill the opening with cement block and finish the outside with stucco. Howerver, I am not sure about what is involved in filling the opening with cement block so that it is hurricane proof (we are in Miami, Florida), and I have no idea how to do stucco.

Hope this gives you enough information.

Old 12-22-02, 07:30 PM
Freeman
Visiting Guest
Hi ,
When your house was built it was designed to pass hurricane code with the window opening in the wall,, it will have concrete filled cells with rebar on each side of jamb so all u have to do is remove window and fill in with block.
I did masonry for yrs in Sarasota on the west coast and that is what we always did,,but sorry I can;t help with the stucco, I have never done that or tried so I have no idea ,,but I am sure u could get someone in your area to do small job like that reasonable. Good luck ,,freeman

Old 12-22-02, 09:10 PM
pmgca
Visiting Guest
Window removal

Hi,

If your house was built using reinforced masonry, it has grout inside the blocks and steel linking structure, as a net. There is no risk for the structure if you remove a window, but can be some risk if you just "fill the hole".

As the blocks are a solid structure, if you just fill the hole, you will have 2 structures, and as structures are moving all the time, in few months you will have cracks where you filled the hole. So the first step is link this "hole structure" with the "old structure". You can use ties all around, this will work fine.

About the stucco in the outside, the main problem will be the color's difference: the patch will appear. My advice: try to include the patch in a stripe, and put new stucco in the entire stripe. If possible, choose a textured stucco, it is easy for DIY (and for patches). There are lots of them at HD.

Tips:
1 - Protect your head, eyes, hands and feet before working in the window removal.
2 - Take care with people at the external side of the wall if you are working in the internal side
3 - Put the exhaust fan where the window was. Don't open new holes in the structure without a Pro.
4 - Before the stucco, wet the wall to avoid cracks.

Hope this helps

Old 12-22-02, 11:09 PM
David Dickson
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the information, but there is one part I don't undersand. You said "So the first step is link this 'hole structure' with the 'old structure'. You can use ties all around, this will work fine. How do I link them, and what are "ties"?

Old 12-23-02, 05:46 AM
pmgca
Visiting Guest
Window removal

Hi,

Wall ties are metal / steel pieces. Their function is provide conection between 2 walls, transfer loads, etc. Example: to attach a veneer wall to a stud wall. You will probabily find at HD.

In your case, you will use wire ties. They must be embedded in the old blocks and in the new blocks to assure a good connection between these 2 structures,

Let me know if you need more help,

Old 12-23-02, 07:38 AM
David Dickson
Visiting Guest
Thank you

Patricia and Freeman -- Thanks for your thoughtful help. I should be able to go ahead now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: