cinder block strentgh ?

Old 02-19-03, 11:59 AM
lou s.
Visiting Guest
cinder block strentgh ?

Been thinking about building an above ground outdoor pond.Was wanting to know if cinder blocks could withstand water pressure?Am thinking 4' widex10' long x 32" high,since this shape is a perfect fit for using cinder blocks.The water volume would be in the 850 gallon range.I know all about the in ground ponds,but we have 3 labs that I gaurentee would be hanging around in there!!Using the liner,of course,but could the blocks withstand the pressure?Have had fish tanks for years,but just thinking about taking it outside.What's a good price per block?Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-03, 01:24 PM
CLIMBNUTT
Visiting Guest
I'd say blocks would hold providing you pour a proper footing and set in rebar standing straight up for outward strength within the block cavities.I would not recommend blocks for a larger pond however your dimensions seem reasonably small.For extra insurance why not form it and pour it solid??

Old 02-19-03, 06:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I dont know where you live but the pond could freeze in the winter, not being installed in the ground.
The blocks will be strong enough, just add dura wall and fill the blocks solid with rebar tied into the footing, then pour the floor last so it overlaps the footing and then stucco the inside of the blocks and that should make a tight seal.
The only problem will be that the fresh cement is bad for fish, it should cure at least six months, and the start with just goldfish, stay away from toxic products and paint.
Check out some web sites for garden ponds for more information before you start.
I like www.waterfordgardens.com

Old 02-19-03, 07:21 PM
Price?
We bought 60 cinder blocks last week at 1.07 each.
That was here in VA, your price may vary a bit.
fred

Old 02-20-03, 08:17 AM
lou s.
Visiting Guest
Thanks guys for some replies.I had been thinking about pouring it solid 4-6" thick,but I was figuring that it might crack over time,being upright.I live in the southwest suburbs of Chicago.We have a bumpout behind the garage,roughly 7' deep x 12 long,and was figuring this would be a good idea to fill in this spot,since I was going to frame it in,and pour a slab there, anyway.Our house faces n-s,so it gets plenty of sunlight there.Would be drained in wintertime,of course.My step-dad has been doing brickwork & pre-cast work for over 30 yrs.,he's a good source for info,but was just looking for some more opinions on this.Couldn't find anything like this on other diy pond sites;they were all inground,except for a few mostly barrel types.If it did fail,at least we wouldn't have a big hole in the ground to worry about!Thanks,again!

Old 02-26-03, 06:41 AM
And what makes you think that being above-ground is going to keep the labs out of it, eh ? I think what you're going to have is a nice little pond ... and 3 soggy dogs .

Old 02-26-03, 06:57 AM
Animals in Pond!!

And that is the exact reason all ponds are recommended to have an internal ledge for animal (and human) escape. If the blocks are too high, w/o a ledge would be asking for fatal consequences.
Be careful,

fred