Coloring Cement

Old 04-25-03, 11:47 AM
Scotswahey
Visiting Guest
Coloring Cement

I want to make a molded concrete pathway using red colored cement. I made a small path a few years ago in the back yard using red dyed cement and a mold. Now I want to continue the path around the front of the house and probably build a small patio, too.

However, the red dye costs more than the cement! It's about $4 a bottle or box -- the cement costs about $3 for 60-80lb bags. I only get about one and one third molds with an 80lb bag. So the path, which is pretty long, will cost a lot when the dye is factored in.

(A) Is there a cheaper way to dye my cement red?
(B) Is there a cheaper way to make cement than buying 80lb bags? Having a truck deliver it wet is not an option. I need it dry to work on it as I have time.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Incidentally, I don't want to buy pre made concrete forms as they don't look at all similar to the rounded stone ones I've already molded. I just want to continue with the same mold but hopefully without it costing an arm and a leg!

Old 04-29-03, 04:23 PM
LeakMaster1
Visiting Guest
color

How about getting a gal. or 2 of epoxy made for cement, pick the color you want, preform the blocks, add some sand to the epoxy to give it a non skid surface and coat the blocks, let dry and place them. You can also coat over the existing walk to get a match. Home Depot should be able to help you with this.

Old 05-15-03, 04:34 PM
Scotswahey
Visiting Guest
Definitely sounds doable -- if the epoxy is way cheaper than the cement and the dye. I've not heard of it so I'll ask about it at Home Depot. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll definitely look into it!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: