Cutting a slab

Old 07-19-03, 11:49 PM
stevenardigo
Visiting Guest
Cutting a slab

Hello-
I have a concrete slab (12'x12') in the back yard that i would like to remove to put grass in. Its about 2" thick-no rebar or wire mesh and has a drain (1'x1') in the middle of it. there is also 2 small steps down to this area. I would like to keep the concrete underneath the steps for stabitily (grass would probably die anyway) so I need to cut around it-maybe 24-30" total cut on the three sides of the steps.
2 questions...
1. can i make these cuts with a small saw? I have an 18V cordless dewalt 6.5" circular saw.
2. do you see any purpose for the drain to remain intact? I was thinking of filling it with quikcrete and putting the grass over it.

I think i will just use a sledge to demo the slab.

Any thoughts, suggestions, comments.......

Thanks for you time.

Old 07-20-03, 07:43 AM
Group Moderator
Received 153 Votes on 118 Posts
Best bet would be to rent a gas-powered masonry saw to do the job. Looks and operates like a chain saw, but has a masonry blade in place of the chain. Will go through the slab like butter. Be sure to use eye & ear protection and a good dust mask. Also close any adjacent windows - lots of dust going to be kicked up.

Decide what to do with the drain after you get the slab busted up, but will probably serve no purpose.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: