Sealing a driveway

Old 07-26-03, 08:14 PM
U
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Sealing a driveway

Hi-

I have an asphalt driveway that is approximately 1 1/2 years old now in Illinois. I see that other people in my housing complex (houses and driveways about 1 1/2 years old) are putting a black sealant on their driveways. What is the purpose of this asphalt sealant and is it necessary? If it is necessary, how often should I seal my driveway?

Thanks,
Steve

Old 07-26-03, 11:00 PM
pmgca
Visiting Guest
Hi,

Check this interesting article about "How to seal and repair driveways"

http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=howT...c=howToLibrary

Good luck!

Old 07-27-03, 09:03 AM
U
Thanks!

Thanks PMGCA! I guess I'll be sealing my driveway now!

Old 07-27-03, 01:51 PM
pmgca
Visiting Guest
Hi,

Glad to know we helped!

Good luck!

Old 08-02-03, 07:52 PM
T
Asphalt sealer

Many years ago in a previous life I lived in a very nice home in a very upscale neighborhood, but we all had asphalt driveways. Ours became an eye sore. Our doorbell became an attractant to guys with trucks and asphalt sealers in tanks behind. I got tired of answering the door and thinking my property was an eyesofe. My husband's argument was that when the State
Road started sealing asphalt, that he would. He was at work. I had to deal with the guys wringing the door bell.

So, I calculated the square footage of the parking lot and long, curving driveway. After several trunkloads in my little car of transporting sealer--oil based) and a couple of those applicator brush brooms, I donned the oldest shoes and jeans I owned and set forth sealing. I would like to add that I bought asphalt patch and rented a tamper to tamp in deteriorating asphalt areas.

We lived on the property for 4 years, and despite driveway deterioration, because I sealed it every year. it looked great to passerbys and casual observers. My home brought top dollar. The appraiser spent over an hour in my garden and my flower beds, so I don't think the driveway or the house were ever an issue. When he came to my home, it was like returning to his homeplace. A perfect veggie garden and flowers, and flower beds everywhere. I don't remember his looking in the house at all.

Old 08-02-03, 07:56 PM
U
Thanks

Thanks for your input!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: