sealing and looks; concrete foundation

Old 08-01-03, 01:45 PM
bigmanharrison
Visiting Guest
Question sealing and looks; concrete foundation

I am working on finishing my basement. In the past someone sealed some cracks with hydraulic cement. I want to get a buffer and sand the concrete down to get it smooth. I then want to paint/stain the floor to a nice consistant color. Where the cracks were sealed, the floor gets moist from lots of rain (hasn't been moist since winter and we have had much rain around Asheville, NC). Around these moist areas, I am getting white mold build up. The main reason to sand and seal the floor is to get rid of this issue.

The other concern I have is if I paint/stain the floor, will it allow me to put adhesive down if I deside to tile or vinyl tile the floor?

Does anyone have a recommendation for a specific paint/stain I should use? I have roughly 1600 sqft so I am thinking of low cost also.

Thanks

Old 08-02-03, 06:57 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Sealing concrete

If you have cracks that were sealed and you have mold issues, you still have moisture issues. These need to be addressed before moving on to treating concrete surface.

Acid etching staining has become quite popular in coloring concrete. Paint tends to peel and abrade with use and abuse.

If you plan on finishing basement and tiling in the future, I would be hesitant to treat concrete with anything due to potential adhesion problems. Your focus should be your moisture problems.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: