Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Bricks, Masonry, Cinder Block, Paving & Walking Stones, Asphalt and Concrete
Reload this Page >

New Construction. Do I need to seal my concrete garage, basement, driveway and S/W?

New Construction. Do I need to seal my concrete garage, basement, driveway and S/W?

Old 08-02-03, 04:11 AM
tommytuna
Visiting Guest
Talking New Construction. Do I need to seal my concrete garage, basement, driveway and S/W?

I must purchased a new home in Michigan and am wondering what the protocol is for sealing concrete. DO I need to seal/waterproof everything . ..garage, driveway, basement, and sidewalk? If so, do I use the same sealer for everything? Do I use epoxy, acrtlic, or what?

Since the home is new I feel if I am going to do this now is the best time. Any recommendations for brands and or applications would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-02-03, 06:12 PM
T
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Sealing concrete

My father was a firm believer in keeping concrete sealed. Concrete is porous and absorbent of oils, soils, and stains. If you plan on finishing out your basement in the future and installing ceramic tile, sealant may pose adhesion problems.

Because concrete is porous, it acts like a sponge and sucks up moisture. In freezing weather, the moisture freezes and expands and can damage concrete surfaces. Sealing concrete can keep moisture out. Depending on what type of sealer you use, the sealer can be effective for 6 mos - 1 year. More expensive sealers tend to last longer and offer greater protection.
You will need to do some research to determine the best bang for your buck.

Like auto wax, you will know when it is time to reseal. That is when water no longer beads on the surface. We have had many forum posts about oil leaks and other types of spills on concrete. If sealed and pores filled with sealer, cleanup would have been much easier.

You might want to check out http://www.quikrete.com/inside/relea...iccureseal.htm

Concrete should be very clean before sealing. Sealers can be applied with roller, sprayer, or brush. Read and follow directions carefully.

Rock salt and snow melt products can take a toll on concrete. Sealer can help protect concrete. Always rinse concree after snow melts to remove any snow melt products.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: