Sealing exposed interior brick

Old 08-10-03, 04:24 PM
pixelninja
Visiting Guest
Sealing exposed interior brick

Hi,
My wife and I are remodeling our kitchen in our house that was built in 1910. We have exposed the brick along one of the outside walls, because the plaster on that wall was crumbling badly and wasn't too difficult to remove. It looks great, but is constantly sheading plaster dust and old mortor whenever touched. Is there any type of sealant that I can apply to keep it from constantly sheading? I would prefer something that I can spray on, since I think that if I tried brushing something on, it would become contaminated with loose plaster/mortar and not look as clean. Also, my wife would like a sheen to it.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Old 08-12-03, 09:17 AM
pixelninja
Visiting Guest
Anyone? Please?

Here's a link to a picture, if that will help you visualize what I'm talking about...

http://www.pixelninja.net/pics/remodel/kitchen03.jpg

Old 08-15-03, 01:53 PM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
Drylock. It is acrylic resin in paint thinner. If you brush it on it will glue most of the dust in place. It might take a few coats..

Old 08-19-03, 02:22 PM
pixelninja
Visiting Guest
brickeyee - thanks for the reply. I really needed something that could be sprayed on because if I tried brushing, it would pick up the dust and contaminate the finish. Anyway, I've taken care of the problem, and acrylic does seems to be the answer. For those interested, simple clear glossy acrylic spray paint does the trick nicely.

I did find this stuff that sounded exactly like what I was looking for, but its $41 per gallon:
http://www.aldonchem.com/pr-porous-stone-sealer.htm

And FYI - NEVER try to coat brick and mortar with polyurethane. Whatever is in it will instantly break down mortar. Trust me. Thank goodness I had a test area to play with.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: