Mortar

Old 08-19-03, 06:21 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mortar

I needed some mortar so I bought a bag of cement since I still had several bags of sand in my garage.
the cement is Basalite type I-II (the only one they had at HomeDepot). I tried several mixing ratios (4:1, 3.5:1, 3:1) but my mortar does not have any strength at all; I can break a 1" thick
peace easily with my fingers and it crumbles. What is wrong here, did I buy a bag of bad cement?

Old 08-20-03, 08:16 AM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
Never heard of "Basalite".....and a websearch on returns info on Basalite retainer wall blocks, nothing about cement.....

Sounds more like you got a bag of lime......which IS what older mortar was made of , but it doesn't harden like portland cement based mortars. Thats why you can scratch the mortar out of old brick joints real easy.....or clean the brick up off a tear down....it's lime mortar. The strength came from HOW the brick was laid.

Go to another lumber supply and ask for brick mortar( type N or S .....S being the stronge of the two ) or portand cement.

Old 08-20-03, 08:27 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The portland cement association says:
http://www.portcement.org/cb/concret...retebasics.asp

Typically, a mix is about 10 to 15 percent cement, 60 to 75 percent aggregate and 15 to 20 percent water
According the the Basalite site, what you have is cement.

http://basalite.paccoast.com/default...products%2Easp

From what I understand, you have to mix the cement and sand thoroughly then add the appropriate amount of water to achieve the desired consistency. From the Portland Cement Association statement, it appears that a mixture would be on the order of one part cement to six parts sand. Perhaps the ratio you are using needs adjusting.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-20-03, 08:56 AM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
Well, Chris is a better web searcher than me......

So it is a porland cement.....even without enough sand, I'm surprised you can crumble a one inch thick pc of it easy......Maybe you got too much water in the mix.....that will weaken it.....use just enough to make the mix plastic but no more.

Old 08-20-03, 10:40 AM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
I agree with Andy, something isn't right. The bag of cement could have been old. They do have a useful shelf life.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: