footing or not???

Old 10-06-03, 07:52 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
footing or not???

Im the pres of my grils softball club.
We are building a field. We have not layed the sod and now time for the dugouts. The coach wants block dugouts. These will be 30x12.
There will also be a 20x20 utliitly building.
We were thinking of locking off 10x10
of the visitor side for storage..

Behind the catcher will be netting.
There will be a 4 block hight wall.
Im going to have a footing dug there.

Does there need to be a footing dug around he dugouts? Some have said yes and some not. Somebody fill me in.
If yes ... does it need to have rebar in it. Will wire do?

Tks
Dave
Tenn

Old 10-06-03, 11:45 PM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
What does your local bldg. dept. say??

No matter how you cut it, this is going to HAVE to be permitted!

You are talking a place that the PUBLIC will be attending.

Get the permits, DO IT LEGALLY!!

Yeah, I could go on, and tell you that some shortstop's dad is gonna be pissed, but when the lives you save are those of his wife and kid's, ...

Well, HE can thank me later!!!

Old 10-07-03, 06:13 AM
F
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by lefty
What does your local bldg. dept. say??
He says "play ball"

Old 10-07-03, 11:55 PM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I understand -- your local bldg official is also the umpire in this league after "office hours". (In a small town, folks simply HAVE to wear a lot of hats to get the job done!!)

But dugouts, a 4' block wall with 25' tall backstop sitting on top of it -- these things HAVE to built correctly, or they WILL kill somebody.

There simply HAS to be a way to get them engineered so that they are built CORRECTLY. (Maybe one of the outfielder's Dads has a brother-in-law that knows 'somebody in the business'??)

I understand that you are trying to get this thing built on a shoestring budget -- Adding $10K or $15K for an engineered set of plans just isn't going to happen! But you have put so much time and effort into getting everything else donated so the kids can have this field -- PLEASE approach a couple of engineering firms.

If nothing else, search the Architecture forum and e-mail either Jack the Contractor or Doug Alshire. If they can't halp you, maybe thay know somebody who can.

I just DON'T want to read about you in the paer next summer (UNLESS it's because your kids are in Williamsburg!!!)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: