Acrylic Sealer

Old 10-11-03, 01:28 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry Acrylic Sealer

My patio is poured in exposed aggregate and structurally in pretty good shape. It is at least 12 years old and has been sealed about every 3-4 years or so with an acrylic sealer made by Conspec. It leaves a great wet, shiny look to the finish when it is power washed first.

However, over the years a significant build up of has occurred of the sealer and it is darkening and the aggregate is loosing its appearance.

I asked the dealer where I buy the sealer, if it can be stripped and basically start over. He would only say yes, but it is one heck of a job.

Has anyone stripped acrylic sealer before and is it as difficult as he says? How did you do it?

Thanks,

Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-03, 06:13 PM
C
You did not specify what product you are using. The water-borne product listed on their site may well be like many other water-borne products in that it will be quite difficult to remove. There are some water-borne polyurethanes that are almost impossible to remove.

I would contact the vendor or manufacturer for more information on the proper way to remove this for your project. Often, there are specific products and steps that are successful about which the manufacturer will be quite familiar.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-11-03, 07:41 PM
M
Acrylic exposed aggregate sealer

I apologize for not describing the Conspec sealer in more detail. I don't have the specific name they assign, but I do know that they advise that tools and stripper is a xylene base material.

Spectrum Brown is the most recent sealant I have used and it referes to xylene as a cleaner.

Thanks,

Mike