Flood on concrete basement floor

Old 10-18-03, 05:55 PM
RobW12
Visiting Guest
Flood on concrete basement floor

This morning I came down to discover the water main had started leaking in the back of our basement and left everything soaked, including the concrete floor. I think it went unnoticed for quite a while.

The water is now all cleaned up and we're drying out the floor with a couple of fans, but it's pretty saturated. There's also a lot of white powder coming out of the floor in spots. I'm concerned the concrete may have been damaged if the water went through it and under the slab.

Has anyone had this problem, and how long does it take for the floor to dry completely Is there anything I should do, other than keep the fans going and wait for it to dry?

Thanks.

Old 10-25-03, 12:33 AM
madalynka
Visiting Guest
I wouldn't worry about damage to the concrete, after all they use it outdoors all the time where it is exposed to much more extreme conditions than your basement. The slab could take a very long time to dry out considering we're into the cold and wet season and there is always the possibility of more moisture wicking through the floor or walls from outside, depending on if your concrete was waterproofed when installed and how old it is(many applications break down eventually)
You can test for moisture after it appears to be dry by laying a small sheet of plastic on the floor and check for condensation after 24 hours or so. Keep the ventilation going and after you get things dried out, check periodically for mustiness. I'd be more concerned about a mold problem developing than anything else.
The white stuff is just chemical compounds leaching out, I don't think it's a concern.

Old 10-27-03, 08:12 AM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
You should consider running a dehumidifier untill you see a drop in water collected in the tank. It can take months to dry a concrete floor with fans and a dehumidifier.

Old 11-10-03, 11:39 AM
Stacy
Visiting Guest
leaky basement

Another way to dry out the basement, if you have some free time, and want it dried quicker, is to use a weed burner torch. It will dry it out much quicker than fans, but be sure not to put the torch directly onto the floor when you do this-you don't want to possibly crack it. Hold it a few inches away.

Stacy

Old 11-10-03, 01:06 PM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
Using a torch in an enclosed space like a basement can result in a lot of CO (carbon monoxide) building up. Unless you want to open the windows and ensure a good air flow, leave the torch for outside jobs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: