Paver

Old 10-19-03, 11:03 AM
Superman
Visiting Guest
Paver

I am not sure if this is the right forum for this post.

I am planning to put in a Paver pathway. Does it needs a concrete base?

This article shows how to put Paver in but it did not mention anything about concrete base. I read several other article and those did not mention anything about concrete. I am just concern without concrete, will the paver move or sink through the course of time.

http://www.doityourself.com/brick/brickpaver.htm

The main question is, do I have to mix concrete or water with some type of sand?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-03, 08:58 AM
dmoolenaar
Visiting Guest
No, pavers are rarely set upon concrete unless you are doing a step/riser to a different elevation. Installers will set into concrete the final "soldier" course that holds the stones in place along the outside edges.

The installation process is basically:

1. Excavate ~12" of soil and replace with 10" of a good base material (crushed rock) compacted to a solid surface
2. Top with 2" of sand (special type - but don't remember name)
3. Level and smooth sand - follow with slight dampening of water, let dry
4. Lay stone on top of sand
5. Lay your border "soldier" stones
6. Spread joint sand and broom into cracks
7. Vibrating plate over stones
8. Seal pavers to protect and hold joint sand in place

There is room for change in the depth of the base depending on your soil conditions and local climate. Our backyard consisted of hard pack with lots of rock so only 4" base went down, our front yard was a sandy soil so our paver driveway was a full 10" compacted base.

Good luck.

Old 10-20-03, 09:05 AM
dmoolenaar
Visiting Guest
Oh I forgot to answer your question about movement. The answer is it depends on the quality of your base. If you properly compacted the base and the stones into the sand you should see little to no movement. Here in San Marcos the city used paverstone in some of the major city intersections and after years of constant heavy traffic I cannot detect movement.

For the walkway you are proposing I doubt you will have an issue. Also remember that pavers have about 3X the compressive strenth of concrete - plus they will never crack due to earthquakes or weather change - and you can always pull them up to get access for trenching if needed with no fuss.

Again, good luck.

BTW: I'm not involved with the industry, I just love pavers and have used them with every home I've had.

Old 10-21-03, 01:19 AM
Superman
Visiting Guest
Thank you for the info.

So, I don't need to mix any concrete? How come some site instruct to add 1/3 concrete into paver sand.

By any chance, do you know how much it will cost for about 120 square feet of paver?

Thanks again

Old 10-21-03, 08:07 AM
dmoolenaar
Visiting Guest
No I've never seen concrete added to a professional paver install - unless it was done by a concrete contractor who just couldn't help himself Just remember that the final border course is typically set into a bed of mortor.

Cost, depends on where you live I suppose. Here in San Diego county I had 2100 sq/ft of pavers installed by professionals. I got quotes ranging from $12 sq/ft (dreaming) all the way down to $7 sq/ft including base materials, edging (all rounded edges - no corners) and cleanup. It's heavy work and with that amount of paver I had no choice but to hire it out. If you looking only for a paver stone price I would figure $1.75 to $2.50 sq/ft for a standard antique cobble style.

If you need a reference to manufacturers and an excellent installer let me know.